samples and my camera

winterstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll start with a brief intro. I use a Canon Powershot SX100. Broken. Yes, the little spin dial that will let me change such things as aperature is broken. So, I use auto mode. (Once in awhile the dial works for awhile, but it's currently broken again.)
Eventually I shall replace my camera. (I'm hoping by next year this time.) So, while I can't do anything technical, I want to develop a good eye for photo's and capture good quality images.

Here's some samples I've done:

I'd love some feedback that will help me improve.

Last edited:
I don't know technical jargon just yet, so I can't really give you good critiques, but I can say what I like.

#3 I like. Maybe if the sky had a bit more color to make it really pop against the dark treeline.

#4 reminds me of old b-flick werewolf movies. I like it.

!?

Well, since you have to use your camera in auto mode, we could really only help you improve your composition. The camera is going to decide everything else for you, so focus on the way you frame you shots. If you're going to use the moon as your subject in the middle of your shot, go for the exact center of the frame, not some off kilter spot around that area. You can also use the rule of thirds here. The bird shot is OK, image is small but the focus doesn't look really sharp. The skyline photo has some nice colors to it but you should've gotten a bit higher up to get a clear shot of the river without the brush in front of it. Just my 2 cents, but I'd recommend getting a better camera that will allow you to call the shots.

Composition help is good for now. One thing at at time.:mrgreen:

The bird one -- my camera has 10x optical zoom, but 20x digital zoom, and that's all the way zoomed up. I really want a better zoom with my next camera purchase. I want to see the feathers.

the moon one... well, I do know it's not in the best location, but I don't want to crop that one because I like the clouds in it. (I don't have a tripod yet.)

I do have a question with #2. I was unhappy with how the branches look. Is that something that can be fixed? I had two idea's I was going for that one --- faded branches and a sharp moon or sharp branches with a moon.

With #3.. How would I get the colors brighter? And I see what you're saying with the brush in front, but I was going more for the colors of the sky over the water. It was getting dark fast.

I'm not sure if #1 is very sharp. I'd have to see it in a bigger size. I like #4. Very moody, but remember about the rule of thirds. The moon is too centered to me.

I'm not sure if #1 is very sharp. I'd have to see it in a bigger size. I like #4. Very moody, but remember about the rule of thirds. The moon is too centered to me.

I'm thinking the rule of thirds is basically divide the image into three and make sure it's balanced?

The bird one -- my camera has 10x optical zoom, but 20x digital zoom, and that's all the way zoomed up.

Completely forget the camera has "digital zoom". The camera uses its "best guess" and pictures just won't turn out as sharp as you'd like.

I do have a question with #2. I was unhappy with how the branches look. Is that something that can be fixed? I had two idea's I was going for that one --- faded branches and a sharp moon or sharp branches with a moon.

With #3.. How would I get the colors brighter? And I see what you're saying with the brush in front, but I was going more for the colors of the sky over the water. It was getting dark fast.

What you want to achieve with #2 requires you to have control of your aperture and shutter settings. With your camera stuck on auto, it's going to do what it can to get everything in focus. If you have a manual focus, you might be able to achieve something similar to a shallow depth of field.

#3. Again you need to have more control over your camera. To get more color and detail, you would need a longer shutter speed, a larger aperture setting, and an increase in your ISO.

You really should try to fix your camera so you can maximize it's abilities, regardless of how limited they may be. What you want out of your shots, your camera isn't going to provide if it only operates on auto. But in the meantime, read up on composition and practice shooting better designed shots.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back