Samsung Galaxy S7 phone question

pocketshaver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The auto mode loves to focus on close up objects. If im 3-5 feet from say a flower, the flower is sharp and everything around it is fuzzy. Its not too bad. But when I back up to say 6 feet, the whole scene is sharper..

The pro mode has me confused. It has standard ISO film speed selection of 0 to 800. Works for me, however the AP option for aperture seems to be confused with the SHUTTER speed, as it goes from 0 to 1/25,000

Is this normal on cell phone camers?

Does the Galaxy S7 offer " tap to focus" mode, to set the focus manually, when needed?

RE: " aperture seems to be confused with the SHUTTER speed, as it goes from 0 to 1/25,000 "

Sounds indeed like aperture and speed have been confused/conflated...

The auto mode loves to focus on close up objects. If im 3-5 feet from say a flower, the flower is sharp and everything around it is fuzzy. Its not too bad. But when I back up to say 6 feet, the whole scene is sharper..

The pro mode has me confused. It has standard ISO film speed selection of 0 to 800. Works for me, however the AP option for aperture seems to be confused with the SHUTTER speed, as it goes from 0 to 1/25,000

Is this normal on cell phone camers?

I thought you were old school. Why don't you just read the manual?!?!?!? LOL I kid, I kid

The S7 does have tap to focus. Tap the screen where you want the focus to be.

There is no aperature setting on the S7 in Pro mode. There's ISO, shutter speed, exposure compensation, white balance, focus mode and something called "color tone." I don't know of any phone camera that has an adjustable aperature.

You can download the manual here.

Aperture on a phone camera sized sensor gives DEEP depth of field even at f/2.2 or f/2.5 or f/2.8,making aperture not super-useful.

but they list it as aperture on the screen, for me its a piss off as I was hoping to play a tad in low light.

It does take a decent photo, that actually surprises me. Though looking at the manual, they actually put a decent camera in it.

See what can be done at slow speeds like 1/6 to 1/15 sec..

The Galaxy S7 was known to be a pretty good smart phone camera.

LOOK INTO HOW Samsung gleans info from competitors, before it enters a market segment.

Well in a few ways it seems to be slightly better then some of the things called "powershot" or even "compact digital cameras" on paper. Shares a good number of the same feature.

but they list it as aperture on the screen, for me its a piss off as I was hoping to play a tad in low light.

It does take a decent photo, that actually surprises me. Though looking at the manual, they actually put a decent camera in it.

I think you're seeing the AF (autofocus) mode as AP (aperture)

The S7 has a fixed f/1.7 lens. It is cool that it can shoot in raw though. Phone cameras have come a long way.

How to use pro mode on Galaxy S7

Attachments

• AF.JPG
    AF.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 241
auto focus is the default setup, Pro is the fun section..

But it has the AP icon that has shutter speed listed..

auto focus is the default setup, Pro is the fun section..

But it has the AP icon that has shutter speed listed..

Post a pic of the phone screen where you see "AP" as a label for a function. I opened the S7 manual and searched the document for the word aperture and it's not in the manual. I've seen several websites that give instruction on the S7's camera and none of them mention aperture. Here is a screenshot of the manual showing all the possible selections when you are in Pro mode and their corresponding icons.

I have no idea where the confusion is but if you are shooting with a Samsung Galaxy S7, you do not have an aperture priority mode or a shutter speed mode labeled as "AP."

Attachments

• S7 Pro Mode.jpg
    S7 Pro Mode.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 258
its the one above ISO icon in that diagram. oN MY PHONE it has that "shutter speed" icon with the words AP above it.

Ironically THAT icon is the standard one I have seen for APERTURE in most youtube animations on basic photography skill.

Besides, the American and and Canadian camera software and features is different.

Most reactions

Back