SanDisk beats rivals to 512GB SD card -- at a whopping $800

Seems excessive. So you shoot for two weeks and then find the card is corrupted? There goes 25k images! Whoops!

Seems pointless even if you shoot a lot of video

If you think before you shoot you don't need a big card. This is the megapixel wars all over again.

Seems excessive. So you shoot for two weeks and then find the card is corrupted? There goes 25k images! Whoops!

Seems pointless even if you shoot a lot of video

If you think before you shoot you don't need a big card. This is the megapixel wars all over again.

You guys are all missing the point. This is HUGE news for video. Traditionally if you wanted to shoot 4k video you have to use an SSD drive due the size and write speeds. Now you can write directly to an SD card which means no need for an external recording device for DSLR.

So really a camera like the Sony A7S is a 4k camera in the form factor of a small mirrorless camera.

This is exactly what I was thinking! No thanks...

I had a 32gb fail, I couldn't image 512.........

This is exactly what I was thinking! No thanks...

I had a 32gb fail, I couldn't image 512.........

Well it's not intended for that so no worries.

True, but still. Cards fail, thats a lot of data either way.

So do SSDs. It seems like a lot of data but with 4k a black magic cinema camera will fill 480gb for just 60 minutes of video. So figure 8gb per minute of footage.

Its just going to get bigger and faster. 8k is 16gb a minute.

Now thats a lot of data...I had no idea

I can see this in specialized unattended equipment more than cameras. The device is small enough and robust enough to go into miniaturized devices for science or security purposes.

Most reactions

Back