Sandy

Octa with on axis fill:
ss_02.png

Octa:
ss_03.png

I am looking for a larger Octa, you can get the EZ lock brand for cheap and it's good.

Derrel suggested some good things on modifiers, but something missed is a large reflective umbrella, they come in various sizes including a large one like this Impact 7' Improved Parabolic Umbrella (White/Black) they're cheap (compared to a soft box), and frankly I've never been able to tell which is better. The nice thing is they fold up quickly and store easily. I have three softboxes that I store hanging up on the wall, they're a PITA to breakdown, and put up.

The other thing (assuming you don't have one) is get an incident/reflective meter. You don't have to spend a fortune on one, there are a lot of good used ones out there. It will make your life a whole lot easier when you're trying to set your ratios, and exposure.

Big umbrellas are fairly affordable...I got a Westcott 6 footer for $50 on sale in 2013

Ok, I was going for this look

I've been studying her page this morning, JB and some others have touched on it. I think she's using fairly conventional lighting setups with multiple lights, but the rather flat, bright, open shadows in the kids and women especially is processing. IMO she's applying a "Porcelain Skin" effect. Google it and youll find all sorts of videos on how to do it. As in all things PS there are multiple ways, but most involve either a white fill layer or orange adjustment in saturation and luminosity applied to the skin, to lighten, brighten, and give the skin a creamy look.

Last edited:
If you look at paintings by the old masters, you will rarely...if EVER... see the back of the hand pointed directly at the viewer ESPECIALLY in women. Try this again but turn the hand so you only see the SIDE of the hand. I think you'll find it more pleasing. A light touch of diffusion (either on the lens at time of capture or in post) would be flattering. Cheers!
--Steve Bohne Master Photographer, Craftsman

I’m not the most qualified person on this thread to provide feedback, but I think what you’re looking for is often referred to as “painterly”, and is achieved through a combination of lighting and editing. It’s a look that I’ve definitely noticed and admired in some of your portraits. I’ve seen a few tutorials for achieving this look recently that I wanted to try, but haven’t been able to find the time.

Most reactions

Back