Sarah

I'm confused about all the comments concerning the eye lashes. Is that not something that the photographer has very little control over? I'll confess that I don't keep up with styles but, maybe this is a new trend or something. I'm not really a fan of the low rider jeans that everyone seems to be wearing but it's hard to take a photo of a girl without them these days. I like the photo's, and she's a very attractive young lady.

danny said:
I'm confused about all the comments concerning the eye lashes. Is that not something that the photographer has very little control over? I'll confess that I don't keep up with styles but, maybe this is a new trend or something. I'm not really a fan of the low rider jeans that everyone seems to be wearing but it's hard to take a photo of a girl without them these days. I like the photo's, and she's a very attractive young lady.

Not a trend, some young girls just have the mistaken idea that if you put tons of mascara on it will make it look like you have tons of long thick beautiful eyelashes, where instead it clumps and looks like hairy spider legs. I suspect many young girls do the same thing, as I have seen a few others (always VERY young) that do this. Once she figures out how to do it in moderation, she'll learn to really bring out those eyes, not that she needs make up at all to do that. She has beautiful eyes. I had to learn myself..I didn't have anyone to teach me...but eventually I figured out after I put the mascara on, to take another mascara brush with no mascara at all on it, and brush it through to separate the lashes, before they dried together.

And no, the photog may not have control over it, but it's a distracting element of the photo none-the-less.

Corry, thanks for the response. Do you feel that in a case where makeup, or something else, that could be a possible distraction, is something a photographer should mention to a subject? I guess I can imagine someone jumping up and leaving in a huff if makeup, or unflattering clothing, etc. were mentioned. I don't want to hijack Daniel's thread here, but I am curious.

core_17 said:
Not a trend, some young girls just have the mistaken idea that if you put tons of mascara on it will make it look like you have tons of long thick beautiful eyelashes, where instead it clumps and looks like hairy spider legs. I suspect many young girls do the same thing, as I have seen a few others (always VERY young) that do this. Once she figures out how to do it in moderation, she'll learn to really bring out those eyes, not that she needs make up at all to do that. She has beautiful eyes. I had to learn myself..I didn't have anyone to teach me...but eventually I figured out after I put the mascara on, to take another mascara brush with no mascara at all on it, and brush it through to separate the lashes, before they dried together.

And no, the photog may not have control over it, but it's a distracting element of the photo none-the-less.

She looks 30+ to me though.

I think these are ok, not great. They look post porcessed and airbrushed. Maybe it's her make up but it doesn't look good. As said the eyelashes ae nto nice, she only seems to have about 6 eyelashes on each lid. Makeup is the major let down in this.

Daniel said:
She looks 30+ to me though.

I think these are ok, not great. They look post porcessed and airbrushed. Maybe it's her make up but it doesn't look good. As said the eyelashes ae nto nice, she only seems to have about 6 eyelashes on each lid. Makeup is the major let down in this.

:lmao: I'm always amused when 'youngins' try and guess a person's age! :lol:

I think the problem with the lashes is that you have blurred her skin to hide blemishes and soften, yet you have masked off the eyelashes, and they are overly sharp in comparison to the skin.

core_17 said:

Actually, this IS a trend! Girls are doing their eyelashes like that intentionally :confused: They even have special mascara *tools* to help with the effect. I also find them distracting. But, since she chooses to wear them that way, I'm sure she will love the photos!

woodsac said:
Actually, this IS a trend! Girls are doing their eyelashes like that intentionally :confused: They even have special mascara *tools* to help with the effect. I also find them distracting. But, since she chooses to wear them that way, I'm sure she will love the photos!

Are you sure about that? I honestly can't imagine that being in fashion, and being a cosmetician at Walgreens I haven't heard of it...maybe I am old at 23.

danny said:
Corry, thanks for the response. Do you feel that in a case where makeup, or something else, that could be a possible distraction, is something a photographer should mention to a subject? I guess I can imagine someone jumping up and leaving in a huff if makeup, or unflattering clothing, etc. were mentioned. I don't want to hijack Daniel's thread here, but I am curious.

I absolutely think it's the photographers job to mention or correct these types of things. Unless there is a hired make-up artist to be responsible for it. Like if she had a clothing label showing, or spinach in her teeth...you have to do more than just click the shutter...for this type of shot anyway. If it's a journalistic type of shot, you would probably just let it go...because you are recording a moment in time rather than creating a portrait.

Although, this might have been what this girl wanted to do...maybe it is the current style...there is no accounting for taste. It just doesn't seem to fit with the style of clothes & hair.

danny said:

Whoops, I missed this post. I do agree with Mike though...yes, the photog should step in, but I think I would have a hard time doing it in a case like this, for fear of insulting them. :confused:

core_17 said:
Are you sure about that? I honestly can't imagine that being in fashion, and being a cosmetician at Walgreens I haven't heard of it...maybe I am old at 23.

It started as more of a high-society, runway model thing. But, like any other so-called trend, it made it's way to our youth :meh:

They apply single, false eyelashes in groups until they get the desired effect. The cluster (groups of pointy eyelashes) was the most popular. Here's a picture from none other than a prom page :???: I couldn't find a picture with the same style. My wife showed me pics prolly about 6-8 months ago in a hair style magazine.

http://www.yourprom.com/beauty/popup_photo.ssf?/cgi-bin/slide-show.cgi/modbride/yourprom/slide_show.ata?index=5&g_id=4361

Most reactions

Back