Saturn last night

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshirecatcarclub.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not brilliant! Has my own camera set up piggy backing the telescope and just tried a few shots hand held to the eyepeice with my father in laws digital camera.

saturn4fw.jpg

Wow, but to my eyes this photo of Saturn is GREAT!
What do you want?
I have never ever seen anyone photograph the rings from earth... and now I even KNOW the photographer! In person! I am so proud. Let some of the golden glitter fall on me, too, please, will you? ;)

Thanks all! :thumbup:

It's not all that good compared to what I will be able to get on film when I get my new adapter though. By eye through the eyepeice I can see the Cassini division between the rings and some cloud detail on the planet.:thumbup: :D

wow, very nice. Cant believe you can takes pics of Saturn from earth..................i dont even know where the freakin planet is :p

Seriously, it's not too hard! Most people use webcams connected to the eyepeices these days! They record a short video sequence of about 5000 frames then stack them together to get a single image. There are virtually no tracking errors that way!

I forgot to reply. :oops:

It does look rather cool. I'm shocked to the see the rings like that. Can't wait to try it myself. :mrgreen:

Just gotta find the bugger first. Left is up and right is backwards, isn't it?

ferny said:
Just gotta find the bugger first. Left is up and right is backwards, isn't it?

& down zooms in! :lol:

Saturn in Northwards at about 50 degress elevation from the horizon at aroung midnight. Not so easy to find as Mars as it's about the same brightness at the bright stars around it!

If you can find the constellation Leo it's just to the right and next to the Beehive star cluster that you should see as a dull smudge if your eyes are good enough! (you'll love the Beehive through the finderscope! :thumbup: )

Start with your biggest eyepeice and look for the brighter objects & you'll soon find it!

LaFoto said:
Wow, but to my eyes this photo of Saturn is GREAT!
What do you want?
I have never ever seen anyone photograph the rings from earth... and now I even KNOW the photographer! In person! I am so proud. Let some of the golden glitter fall on me, too, please, will you? ;)

my thoughts exactly!

Cool idea. Who knew you could get such a shot that way? That's why ya gotta love TPF!

Sweet shot for handheld, I have to start looking at the snapshots gallery more often.

Thats a nice shot PlasticSpanner, I've seen a lot of photos of Saturn being posted in various forums recently.

Planetary and deep space photography is quite popular these days guys... either by piggybacking to the telescope and using onboard tracking or attaching the camera directly to the eyepiece.......be sure to try and use a scope with an equatorial mount if anyone is considering having a go... stability is a must!

You'd be amazed at the shots people can get with scopes and digital cameras, although like PS says, stacked frames with webcams are increasingly popular these days.

I didnt realise you were into astrophotography PS! What scope do you use? I've been considering buying a Meade 8" Schmidt Newtonian in the not to distant future and having a go...... yum :D... although I fear it may be bigger than I am :lmao:
Meade_LXD75_UHTC_8in_SNT_L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back