SB-400 vs SB-600

ChiTownSprty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in the process of getting a flash and was wondering if someone could tell me the advantages/disadvantages of one vs. the other? Is it worth the extra $100 for the 600? Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Have you looked them both up to see their specs? If so, what have you noticed is different between them?

Yes, I have compared, but I'm not real familiar with some of the terms. I know the basic differences like the 600 is stronger, can be used off the body, can swivel to bounce off the ceiling whereas the 400 can't if shooting vertically, etc etc. I was all set on getting the 400, but now I'm having second thoughts on whether or not it's the right way to go. With it being just $100 or so more, I was hoping to get some feedback on what some of you veterans think...like is it worth it.

I had the 600 and it was great and with stood a beating of falls and hits until it fell about 5 feet and broke the bulb, but everything else still works but without the bulb it wont flash. so anyways my point is that it was a great flash. and ive never owned the 400.

get the sb600. it's more useful.

So since you've read all the tech info, I'm not going to recite all the differences, but instead say that I would, beyond a shadow of a doubt, go with the SB-600. The price difference is minimal, and the advantages make it worth while. I personally would prefer a 800-900, so the 600 is the base in my opinion.

the 600 is great, i started with the vivtar 285 and the step from that to the sb-600 was amazing!

i don't think i could've ever started with the 400, get the 600 :) you can get it from best bu for 10% off too if you or someone you know is a reward zone member, they're always sending me 10% coupons, i got mine for 160 sine i had 10% off then some gift certificates :)

Certainly the 600 over the 400, but if you can find an 800, all the better.

I have the SB400...and I wish I would have gotten the SB600 instead! Oh well...you live and you learn. I hate that I can't swivel to bounce the 400 when vertical so I usually opt to shoot without flash when possible. The 400 is good for one thing...quick snap shots though as it recycles pretty quick. With fully charged batteries (NiMH) I can fire off 4-5 frames in a row with the each flash output fairly close to the previous. But I would get the 600 if I were to do it all over again.

I had 2 SB600's and rarely used them, I preferred my SB400 most of the time - it does a great job. But most of my shots using flash are indoors using bounce flash, so the big SB600 was clunky and unnecessary for me.

That said, I'm going to be doing more creative things soon and recently purchased a Nissin di866 that will be here next week. Read up on it, I personally think it's an excellent buy based on the reviews. It's said to be 95% of the SB-900 at 65% the cost ($249 shipped at Adorama).

SB600 vs SB400

SB600 = More power, more control, swivel head, wireless ability.
SB400 = Better than popup flash, bounce flash, easy to use (on or off).

Last edited:
I think the biggest question is: What do you plan on using it for? For shots of family around the house and what not, I think the SB-400 is probably all you need. It works great for general use like that. If you think you'll ever want to play with off-camera lighting, manual flash settings, get light stands and umbrellas, etc, then definitely go for the SB-600.

For what it's worth, I have an SB-400 for sale on here. It's a great flash for what it does, just not quite as versatile as the 600 can be.

I got an SC-17 cord and use my SB400 off camera attached to a monopod, works slick! I call it my light stick :lol:

I think the biggest question is: What do you plan on using it for? For shots of family around the house and what not, I think the SB-400 is probably all you need. It works great for general use like that. If you think you'll ever want to play with off-camera lighting, manual flash settings, get light stands and umbrellas, etc, then definitely go for the SB-600.

For what it's worth, I have an SB-400 for sale on here. It's a great flash for what it does, just not quite as versatile as the 600 can be.

This is part of my dilemma, I will probably be using this flash for shots like you suggest, family, indoors, etc. BUT, if I ever want to get creative or whatever, I'll be irritated I didn't get the SB-600. I also don't like how much bigger and bulkier the 600 is over the 400. Ugh...:lol:

This is part of my dilemma, I will probably be using this flash for shots like you suggest, family, indoors, etc. BUT, if I ever want to get creative or whatever, I'll be irritated I didn't get the SB-600. I also don't like how much bigger and bulkier the 600 is over the 400. Ugh...:lol:
Depends on how serious you are. If you know you're not going to be quiting photography or anything anytime soon then I personally don't see a reason to not just go for the sb600. It isn't huge or anything definitely no sb900. It is a lot more versatile and for the little difference in price you will probably end up kicking yourself in the butt for not getting it. If you can get it why not right? It's better to have what you don't always need then to need it and not have it.
TJ

I understand the predicament completely; I was in the same boat and eventually decided on the SB-400. My reasons were mainly what I was planning on doing with it, the considerable size difference making it much easier and less cumbersome for that use, and the cost difference. That said, the 600 is still an excellent choice as well.

Lately, I am getting into more strobist stuff (including manual flash settings, radio triggers, light stands, umbrellas, reflectors, etc), and I find myself not using it as much. However, at the same time, I'm really not pushing hard to sell it and couldn't care less if I don't sell it, because I know I'll still love having it when I don't want to mess with or lug around a bigger flash.

Most reactions

Back