SB-800 or 600?

illbowhunter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which do you recommend for my Nikon D5000, a new SB-600 or used SB-800? I want to get a speedlight for my camera but not sure which would be best. Right now I will be using it for portraits and just all around use but have a wedding to shoot next summer.

Which do you recommend for my Nikon D5000, a new SB-600 or used SB-800? I want to get a speedlight for my camera but not sure which would be best. Right now I will be using it for portraits and just all around use but have a wedding to shoot next summer.

those two items are vary different in pricing. The 600 is right around $205 and the 800's go for around $350-$400.

As the saying goes... "Whats in your wallet?"

I own two 600's and love them for simple OCF lighting.

p!nK

The SB-800 was discontinued about a year ago and was replaced by the SB-900.

The SB-800 is still available as a used item though.
Compared to the SB-600 the SB-800 has more power, can zoom to 105 mm, has a built-in bounced flash fill card, and has an accessory that for a 5th battery to shorten the flash recycle time.
The SB-800 has a Commander mode, so it can use Nikon's CLS to control other Nikon SB-600, 800, and 900 speedlights. The SB-800 also has SU-4 mode that lets you trigger it with the flash from another speedlight or the built-in pop-up unit on the camera.
The SB-800 also has a jack for an external power source, a port for a PC sync cable (PC type connector, not a computer) and a port terminal for multiple TTl speedlight operation.

The SB-600 can only zoom to 85mm and has none of the SB-800 features, ports or terminals listed above, which is why it costs less.

I happen to have a spare SB-800 for sale (only $325): http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/222900-fs-nikon-sb-800-speedlight.html if you were to be interested.

those two items are vary different in pricing. The 600 is right around $205 and the 800's go for around $350-$400.

As the saying goes... "Whats in your wallet?

That's why I said NEW SB600 or USED SB800.

Thanks KmH. That is what I was looking for. Will the 800 work OK on the D5000?

Thanks KmH. That is what I was looking for. Will the 800 work OK on the D5000?

It'll work just fine, and that's a steal for the SB-800 IMO. If I didn't just buy two 600's today, I'd buy KMH's 800 for sure.

I have 3 SB-600 for my CLS system. I would rather have 3 lights that I can position in different locations and have them be less powerful rather than 1, maybe 2, speedlights that are more powerful.

That being said- I never (well I cant) go into Auto FP- High Speed Sync. (my d50 syncs normally at 1/500 but can't go above that) But if I used a camera that would go into HSS after 1/250 I would really consider getting a more powerful speedlight (the 800) because I dont think the 600 has enough power after going into HSS to be used as a main light.

EDIT: 600's go for $220 new but I saved $60 by getting all three refurbished and that got me another scrim! Adorama is the only place that I know of to get the refurbished ones, B&H only has the new ones.

As the saying goes... "Whats in your wallet?

That's why I said NEW SB600 or USED SB800.

Yeah, I READ THAT PART OF YOUR POST. Thats why when I quoted you pricing, I adjusted it accordingly.

Ok, your original post asks which is best... the SB-800 is the better of the two. I will refrain from trying to find which is best for you.

p!nK

Most reactions

New Topics

Back