sb800 with d60?

ccssk8ter11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i just bought an sb800 flash for my d60 but i am having troubles getting it to work wirelessly, does anyone know how?

I dont think the D60 has a infared trigger, you'd need to buy the trigger or use the sb as a trigger for the SB R1C1 and SB 600

yeah thats what i thought. But the guy at the store kept telling me that was all i would need. Oh well. Can i just buy a trigger instead of a whole flash for the master?

yep, you can get the su800

su800.jpg

RTFM :biggrin:

If you don't have Commander Mode on the D60, then you will need triggers. Do a search for member JerryPH. He has a lot to say about Cactus triggers for wireless flash. You will not need another flash for off-camera operation, but you will need a triggers.

Ok and now for a more useful response:

You can still use your flash wirelessly but you will need to put the SB-800 in SU-4 mode. In this mode it'll react to any flash regardless if it's from a Nikon Canon or point and shoot. The trick is you will need to make your camera flash as dark as possible.

I am not familiar with the Nikon D60 but if you can set your onboard flash to 1/128th then do so, if not then you should still be able to get it dark enough so as to trigger the SB-800 but not influence the photo by setting the flash exposure compensation to -3.0EV

You can still use your flash wirelessly but you will need to put the SB-800 in SU-4 mode. In this mode it'll react to any flash regardless if it's from a Nikon Canon or point and shoot. The trick is you will need to make your camera flash as dark as possible.
Wow, really? I was considering getting an SB-600 because I new I couldn't use wireless flash with with SB-800 as a slave for my D40 anyway, but I might change my mind because of this.

Can you explain how it works?

I am not familiar with the Nikon D60 but if you can set your onboard flash to 1/128th then do so, if not then you should still be able to get it dark enough so as to trigger the SB-800 but not influence the photo by setting the flash exposure compensation to -3.0EV
Additionally, you could put your hand or something in front of it to block it from affecting the exposure.

Ok and now for a more useful response:

doh, forgot about that with the sb800

Certainly. SU-4 is the mode (not available on the SB-600) that simply has the flash react to a very sudden change in lighting. It goes through some filtering to try and ignore the TTL preflash and in my experience it does so quite reliably. But basically if it sees another flash fire via it's infra-red sensor it will trigger itself.

Unlike wireless-CLS which encodes all the flash information and TTL information into the preflash, SU-4 mode works as a dumb unit. All your settings such as Power, A / M modes, are all controlled on the flash unit itself, and as there is no communication between the flash and the camera TTL does not work. But these downsides are far outweighed by the benefit of being able to use it wirelessly with any camera.

Oh one more thing epp_b. If you get an SB-600, you can buy light sensitive triggers for very very cheap. They just clip onto the hotshoe and trigger the flash as a wireless receiver would.

ok now i have a d90, how do i do it now? can i use the flash wirelessy without the in camera flash?

Ok, you can but you still need the inbuilt flash. You need to set the inbuilt flash into commander mode, and set it so that it so that the inbuilt flash has no effect in terms of lighting. Your manuals for the D90 and the SB800 are your best friend here. If for some reason you don't have the manuals you can download them from Nikon

Most reactions

Back