Scam?

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm very careful these days about entering into contest especially after the photo.com contest scam I experienced a couple of years ago. I was wondering if any of you have entered this contest. Please let me know.

Here's the site.

http://www.studio414.com/

$5.00 registration fee-I wouldnt bother

also the name studio 414 photograhy spunds like the primary reason for the website would be to sell a photography service but there is no info on packages or prices

The site added cookies to my computer
it doesnt suply ownership info
and the connection is not encrypted

It doesn't even need to be a scam as such.

They could be running a legitimate contest.

Just get a couple of thousand people to pay $5 each and pocket the change from buying the camera.

Entirely legal and risk free but a very bad deal for the entrants.

If I wanted to go to the effort of setting up a photo contest then it would be lucrative. Offer say a $500 first prize and a $200 second prize with a $50 third prize. Total prize costs $750. Entry fee of $10. Assuming you get 75 entrants you break even bar overheads. More like 150 and you are into profit. As for the winning pictures - selected randomly from the JPEG submissions.

Entirely legal and risk free but a very bad deal for the entrants.

Sugarcoating doesn't change it one bit, imo: that is a clear and present scam in my book!

Sugarcoating doesn't change it one bit, imo: that is a clear and present scam in my book!

It's not sugar coating.

I suppose you're correct in saying it's a scam. It's just (in most jurisdictions) a perfectly legal one.

I was looking into whether that was a scam myself, thats how I cam upon this forum. I think it's bogus they request a $5 entry fee AND they require the 3 digit code on the back of your credit card. I work in retail and that code is not a requirement to charge someone on their card.

Not cool studio 414, not cool :thumbdown:

This thread was FAR past dead.

And as far as needing the 3 digit code - you need it on all transactions (like, a $5 entry fee to a "contest") where the cardholder is not present (like, I dunno, something online). So you should read back up on the requirements.

Entry fee shouts the warning bells - seeing as you are already submitting a photo to them!

As for the 3 digit code - most online or telephone sales ask for this number so that is not that strange - not a requirement, but its often used as a security measure -- edit -- appears to be a requirement after all ;)

As for photo competitions in general the thing to look out for is a rights grab - one where they end up with sole rights to use your photo for any reason without any permission from you - this includes editing the photo as well.

I hate sites that spam you, or if you have to pay a fee!:thumbdown:

I was looking into whether that was a scam myself, thats how I cam upon this forum. I think it's bogus they request a $5 entry fee AND they require the 3 digit code on the back of your credit card. I work in retail and that code is not a requirement to charge someone on their card.

Not cool studio 414, not cool :thumbdown:

Actually, that "3 digit code" is to ensure you physically have that card - it helps ensure that.

If you were to find a credit card receipt in trash, you will not have this confirmation number.

I see more and more online purchasing sites requiring this number - I think B&H require it also - doh, ordered something from them last week and didn't even notice :( Not a good thing to be that familiar with their ordering process.

I wouldn't pay $5 because I have no confidence in quality of my shots. But I'm sure there are many who will be happy to enter. Heck, they should make first price a D700 with $5/picture. I'm sure they will get more then 400 pictures which I believe is break even for D700?

If they made it a 1DsMkIII ... how many pros here will take a shot at $5/picture? I'm sure the odds are better then lottery, especially if you are confident of your work.

$5.00 registration fee-I wouldnt bother

also the name studio 414 photograhy spunds like the primary reason for the website would be to sell a photography service but there is no info on packages or prices

The site added cookies to my computer
it doesnt suply ownership info
and the connection is not encrypted

All the registration files list web.com in FL which looks like the managers, not the owner.

This is interesting. Creation date: 25 Jun 2008 19:01:42

Site registered last month for a contest that ends tomorrow? That looks pretty odd. Also the entry fee should hopefully cover the cost of the camera and how do we know that the "winner" isn't a friend of the person running the contest?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back