Scanner picture dimensions

greece

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

how must i scan a part of a picture so i can be sure that the format (dimensions) of the scanned file will be exactly fix to an iso picture format (example 10x15)?

thanks

Hi there,

I'd suggest scanning the whole picture and then looking at the image dimensions in a program like PS. It should then be possible to "resize canvas" and crop the image to the required size.

Rob

If you just want a small portion, you may not have to do the whole print, but I'd scan larger than you think you need, just in case. And I'd scan at the highest optical resolution the scanner can do.

I agree with letting PS figure out the pixel size you need for a certain crop, but if you need to do it yourself, use a ratio. Treat the image size like a fraction and reduce it down as far as it will go. 8x10 has a 4:5 ratio. (You can divide both 8 and 10 by 2, but that's as far as you can go). 16x20 is also a 4:5 ratio. 4x6 is 2:3; so is 6x9 and 8x12. Once you have the ratio, you can figure out the pixel size of one side based on the other. If you want the long side to be 1000 pixels for a 4:5, the other side becomes 800 pixels. If you want the short side 4000 pixels for a 2x3, the long is 6000.

Most reactions

Back