scratched negatives and crescent shaped marks?

Happy Medium

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
my negatives are always scratched, no matter what i do. i roll them on stainless reels, and i've been storing them together by roll in envelopes, if that makes a difference. all you longtime darkroom people, what are some tips to keep my negs clean and undamaged?

also, i've found small crescent shaped black marks on my 120 negs, like uneveness in developing or a light leak. i'm using a yashicamat 124g borrowed from my college, and since these marks aren't appearing on my 35mm negs, i'm thinking that the camera might be the culprit, or maybe slipping of the film on the spool between shooting and processing? any insight as to what's going on and/or how i can deal with it? i'd appreciate any advice you could give me.

Are the scratches on your 35mm, long, along the length of the film, rather than accross?

black marks on prints = from the camera, white marks on prints = from the developing.

I would assume that would mean

white marks on negs = from the camera, black marks on negs = from the developing.

I occasionally get small crescent shaped marks on 120 film. They are white on the prints. When I've examined my negs it appears to me that they are caused by dimpling or bending the film. This probably takes place while loading the reels.

If you can rule out equipment causing the scratches, then it's got to be the way you are handling them. You could make sure you only handle them with cotton gloves. Does your fixer contain a hardener? General advice these days is that you don't need a hardener, but if you are having lot's of problems with scratches maybe you should try it.

ksmattfish said:
...occasionally get small crescent shaped marks on 120 film. ...they are caused by dimpling or bending the film. This probably takes place while loading the reels.

Oh yeah... if you're new at loading 120 film onto spools, the cresent-shaped marks are a result of crimping the film. Since the film is wider than 35mm, it's easier for this to occur.

The scratches... I don't know, but suspect you should exercise more care in handling the film both before and after processing.

Good luck!

-Pete

Creseants are the result of bending/crimping the film while loading it on reels. It just takes practice and a gentle touch to prevent this.

Scratches on the film can be accounted for in a couple of ways.

1. Debris of some sort on/in the camera, particularly on the rollers;

2. Debris on the felt light trap on 35mm;

3. Debris in the bulk loader

Do you squeege your film? If so you may want to look at the rubber blades and ensure they are not broken or pitted. If you use a sponge then there is probably debris in the sponge. I always squeeged my film with bare fingers but it is probably best to just let it drip dry.

rangefinder said:
I always squeeged my film with bare fingers but it is probably best to just let it drip dry.

I use a salad spinner. No kidding!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back