BHuij

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.impactphotographyut.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone!

I've been shooting some 35mm film lately and scanning. Kinda like normal.

Anyway, I use an EOS 5 most of the time, and I've consistently had a problem with long, horizontal scratches on my film. I'm about 99% sure these come from dust inside the body being held in place against the film as it advances or rewinds. The scratches are perfectly straight and aligned with the edge of the film and usually go through many frames in a row without stopping.

I've tried blowing out the open camera body before loading film with one of those rocket blowers, and it doesn't seem to have solved the problem. Any protips for avoiding dust on my film as it moves inside the camera?

Thanks.

Do you load your own film into canisters? If so check for tears of damage at the canister opening. As for the camera, can you see on the scratches on the emulsion? Are the scratches on the front or back of the film, this might help narrow the search for the cause.

If you are loading your own cartridges, and using the Lloyd style loader, there is a felt trap used to keep the large roll light tight. Something could accumulate there and scratch the whole roll. If it is a bad cartridge you can easily get rid of that one cartridge. The Watson style loader does not have the same style of light trap so it is not subject to the scratching.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back