What's new

Scripps Pier at Sunset (more long exposure stuff)

xzyragon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Apr 9, 2014
Messages
330
Reaction score
125
Location
La Jolla, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was doing a photoshoot for some friends at the beach here, and after we finished up, I decided to get some more practice with my UWA + ND filter. I kinda wish you could've seen the reflection of the pier in the ocean, but the surf was a little too rough for that.
IMG_3878 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr
 
I like it. A little too smooth for me in the clouds and the ocean. Maybe just personal preference.

I do like crisper clouds, but when you're doing a 45ish second exposure, they move a too much to retain that crispness. This is what the clouds looked like on the same day with a ~1/15 second exposure. Bummer I lost that "ray" effect (forget the name), but that's the tradeoff for getting the water to smooth out, unless I did some magic stacking.

IMG_3858 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

I like how the pier really follows the horizon line

thanks! Also helped that the camera was a foot off the ground so the horizon appeared flatter.
 
I like it. A little too smooth for me in the clouds and the ocean. Maybe just personal preference.

I agree. It is so smooth that you could use this as a substiture for cream to make ice cream. :drool:
 
both photos are great and far as how crisp falls under preference. i dont mind either of the photos... the first one you shared, what stands out to me and what i like is you have 2 leading lines into the sunset
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom