SD card reader suggestions?

John27

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

So I'm tired of my dusty old SD card reader. So I need a recommendation. I'd like it to do at least SD, and a nice 'bonus point' would be CF as well for 'future proofing'

Finally, it needs to be either USB 3.0 or SATA 6GB/s. I want to take absolute full advantage of my class 10 cards. I'd actually really rather have an internal one (SATA) I can mount in my machine in an empty optical drive bay over yet another dongle to be hanging off my desk.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've picked out a few, but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone had one that just absolutely loved.

-John

If you have an open port on the front of your case (If you have a case) I'd recommend a built in five in one reader. I through one in on my last build and love having one less box with wire hanging out on my desk. the one I purchased has SD, micro SD, CP, USB, and some Sony proprietary crap called Memory Stick.

If you have an open port on the front of your case (If you have a case) I'd recommend a built in five in one reader. I through one in on my last build and love having one less box with wire hanging out on my desk. the one I purchased has SD, micro SD, CP, USB, and some Sony proprietary crap called Memory Stick.

Thanks. I covered that in the original post though, I certainly do have open optical drive bays and would like to get a card reader that fits in there. I'm looking more for individual reviews or information on specific models that are FAST. I've got a couple picked out otherwise.

Totally didn't read your whole post, but thought I did. I apologize. Specifically, I think the only difference your going to find from model to model is build quality and I've always had trouble trying to determine that buying online.

Don't apologize it's free advice! I do it all the time too.

The main concern I have is speed. I am spending too much time waiting for an SD card to offload. Perhaps I'm overthinking it, I think I'm just gonna go with a basic front panel one that uses SATA.

When I built my latest computer, I found some 'generic' multi-slot card reader that fits into a 3.5" bay on my computer. It was indicated as USB 3, so I bought it. I've had no problems whatsoever reading class 10 SDHC cards with it.

Be aware, however, you need a USB 3 port/connector/pins on the motherboard to plug the cable from the multi-slot reader into. Depending on the shape of the plug, you might be able to plug it into a USB 2 spot on the mobo, but it would only be USB 2.

For what it's worth, the case I used had two USB 3 ports 'built in', for thumb drive use. My motherboard only has 1 USB 3 connection on it. So I taped over those external USB 3 ports and use the one in the multi-slot reader. Don't be surprised if you run into a similar situation.

When I built my latest computer, I found some 'generic' multi-slot card reader that fits into a 3.5" bay on my computer. It was indicated as USB 3, so I bought it. I've had no problems whatsoever reading class 10 SDHC cards with it.

Be aware, however, you need a USB 3 port/connector/pins on the motherboard to plug the cable from the multi-slot reader into. Depending on the shape of the plug, you might be able to plug it into a USB 2 spot on the mobo, but it would only be USB 2.

For what it's worth, the case I used had two USB 3 ports 'built in', for thumb drive use. My motherboard only has 1 USB 3 connection on it. So I taped over those external USB 3 ports and use the one in the multi-slot reader. Don't be surprised if you run into a similar situation.

I've actually got 2 USB 3.0 connections on my motherboard, and am using neither. (My case has some USB ports but they are only USB 2.0, so I populated the USB 2 connector for that. So I should be able to run the USB 3 setup there.

Perhaps I should clarify...my mobo has 4 external (in the rear) USB 3 ports and one internal on the mobo. To me, USB ports in the rear are pretty much useless. So are the external USB 2s on the rear, as well. On my old box with no mobo USB ports except on the rear, a USB extension was used to my SDHC adapter.

Perhaps I should clarify...my mobo has 4 external (in the rear) USB 3 ports and one internal on the mobo. To me, USB ports in the rear are pretty much useless. So are the external USB 2s on the rear, as well. On my old box with no mobo USB ports except on the rear, a USB extension was used to my SDHC adapter.

Yeah that's what I meant, I have 2 internal USB 3 and 1 internal USB 2. The internal USB 2 slot is occupied by my front panel connectors (which are USB 2), but neither of the USB 3.

Most reactions

Back