Sea Dragon @ the Monterey Bay Aquarium

bigboi3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took this at the Monterey Bay Aquarium over the weekend.

Nikon D3000 with 35mm f/1.8 DX

Shooting Mode - Aperture Priority
Exposure - 1/80"
ISO - 800
F number - 1.8

Edited with Aperture 3

This was a challenging shot using the d3000 haha. Enjoy.

4811565394_06c254210b_o.jpg

I'm glad everyone is enjoying this photo. haha.

Yeah the f stop had to be set at 1.8 because the aquarium was pretty low lit. The Nikon D3000 has poor ISO... barely got away with this ISO 800 shot. 1600 is not usable at all. Maybe I could have gotten away with 2.8 aperture setting.

I can see the reason for the use of the wide open aperture, and I'm sure you noticed with it's thin focal plane, it gave you the sharpest point at the body, which is probably where you put the focal point seeing as how it is the biggest, flattest part of the body.

Tough situation with a moving subject.

With animal shots, and especially fish, you want your focal point to be on the eye. And with the narrow aperture, it was sadly missed..

I am aware that having the eye as the focal point with animal shots is the way to go. I did miss it and it was because of the very low light, moving subject. Dominantly is correct though as I could only focus on the body and with subject moving it was difficult to keep focus on the eye. Maybe I should have shot in Manual, but at the time, people surrounding the exhibit bumping into me trying to catch a glimpse made it very difficult. I need more practice. :lol:

Most reactions

Back