Season finale - 2017 HS Football.

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by ronlane, Nov 20, 2017.

1. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    That's why I use a monopod when I've used a 300 2.8. Actually I use a monopod at night with my 70-200mm f/2.8 as well. I have a $100 carbon fiber one that is light and works great.

2. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe worth a try.
    I'm going to have to borrow the 80-200 f/2.8 and the Canon T7 from the school, then try shooting a soccer game with the lens on a monopod. That will require a change in the way I pivot to follow the action.

A carbon fiber monopod would be more comfortable to hold, in cold ambient temp than an aluminum monopod.

But for my personal use, the $2,800 70-200 f/2.8 lens is out of my budget. I can afford the $1,300 70-200 f/4 lens. I cannot write off the f/2.8 lens against income, cuz I don't make any money shooting pix.

3. ronlane

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, the foam on my CF monopod makes it nice to hold in the cold weather. It will take some adjustments getting used to it. But stick with it. I hardly notice a difference anymore.

Oh and don't discount the f/2.8, go used Canon White f/2.8 70-200mm Used DSLR Lenses & Film SLR Lenses buy at Adorama

4. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh man, so tempting.
    I just checked the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 used lens, and they are close to the price of a new f/4 lens. hmmmm
    You just messed up my plans for my next lens.

5. ronlane

Photos OK to edit
    Not messed up, just gave you options. Used 2.8 glass can be better than new 4.0 glass.

6. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, the price of the used 2.8 lens makes it VERY tempting.
    Decisions, decisions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit

Ron,
    I tried the 80-200 f/2.8 on the monopod tonight at the soccer game on a Canon T7i crop body.
    I used it for half a game. I shot the first half with my 18-140, to make sure I had something. Then I shot the 2nd half with the 80-200.
    • The 80mm end was too long for the crop camera when the players came close to me, even backed away from the sideline. OK, I'm spoiled by the 18-140. A 24-120 on a FX body would work.
    • Pivoting the setup to track a player was difficult, as I had to pivot around the monopod. I suppose tracking gets easier the more one uses the monopod setup. I'll have to try it a few more times, to see if I can get the hang of using a monopod to track moving players.
    • The monopod did make it easier to work the zoom ring without twisting the camera.