LA to El Paso

I took the train from Ann Arbor, MI down to FL one year while I was in High School. Saved $50 over flying! From Ann Arbor it did not go East to Detroit. It went West to Chicago! :aiwebs_016: Then change trains, and head back East passing just South of Michigan heading for Pittsburgh. :BangHead: From Pittsburg it then finally heads South. Right around Pittsburgh it's getitng late. I am in a regular coach seat, waiting for the conductor to say we can go to a sleeper (we added cars in Pittsburgh). The I saw a family in the front of the car start to pull out sleeping bags. I was like no, no, no. I asked a conductor about a sleeper. He goes that will be $80 a night extra. :aiwebs_016: :BangHead:

Then we hit a car. Had to back up to the accident. After hour or tow delay off again towards DC. Another train change in DC. Tired as all get out. Get on new train after about a 4 hour layover. Finally get into FL about 48 hours from the start. Can be driven in about 21-22 hours. Fly in about 3 hours. Saved a total of $50, which was spent on food on the train / at the stations. :BangHead:

The viewing car going through the smokies during daylight was pretty good. Other than that pretty boring. I would take another train trip, but only with a Roomette. No way doing coach again!

Roomettes are $200 and up per night these days, plus the rail fare.
Like the airlines Amtrak used dynamic/demand pricing. The closer to your travel date you book the more it costs.
Being an old guy I get 15% off the rail fare. Amtrak doesn't discount the cost of a Roomette.

No doubt the more Amtrak experience one gets the more savvy one gets about how it all works.

I took Amtrak's Nor'easter from Portland, ME to Boston back in August. A bit cheaper than flying and the seats were more comfortable. I didn't have to deal with TSA, either. If I'm not in a hurry, that's the way to go, I think.

Last edited:
I color graded the video and made some other minor changes.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back