Second attempt @ a pano - better this time.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted to work in the garden today but it is drizzling rain, so as before, I set up on the balcony to try & implement what I learned from the folks here with my first attempt @ a pano. I fashioned a "L" bracket to hold the camera in portrait orientation with the lens over the pivot point so as to get greater height to the picture. Using a light meter I determined there was better than a three stop differential across the field of view so I over exposed the sky & under exposed the dark areas with a shutter speed of 320 @ f11 on a manual Vivitar 24mm lens. I also used a cable release to eliminate the risk of changing the camera alignment pressing the button. Here is a pic of the set-up:

IMG_4015sm.jpg

I used PhotoStitch to combine the 6 images & PhotoScape to edit the combined images.

Yardpana2sm.jpg

Considering the great range of light across the image I am reasonably pleased with the outcome.

Looks good but the hose (or whatever that is) and that ornament in the bottom right are distracting. For the garden I'd personally add some flowers and such but that's some serious back yard you got there!

You know you don't have to take an average across the whole image for exposure.

Reason I personally don't like doing that is because typically your dynamic range is just tooooo big to really have one part look right. This is especially true if you're getting 180 degrees or more of view -- the part of the sky right next to the sun will look very bright and white, and the part of the sky away from teh sun will either be very dark or just right.

It's hard to make out details because youre image is small -- but I believe you're seeing something similar in the left.

What you can do is take bracketed shots. If you use software like Autopano it'll stitch them together for you and blend the correct images.

Or you can use photomatix or another HDR solution to get the same effect....

You know you don't have to take an average across the whole image for exposure.

Well that was a major problem with my first attempt, inconsistent exposures & the stitch seams showed in spite of attempting to match in post.

Muusers, I was only concerned with getting the pana to work without any consideration of composure.

Thanks for your comments guys.

I think it looks good Ron, big improvement over the last one with the different exposure times. I like your sliding macro tripod head thing..

Ron

Is it possible to take 2 sets of 3 panos, and then have the two different sets of exposures stitched together?

The reason I am asking, is I have been patiently trying my hand at panos. I have a particularly good spot. With the 1/3 overlapping, I get about 8 different shots (I have been bracketing each 8 sets of shots). I notice some distortion in mine, even though I am very careful about the tripod level and extremely careful about handling the camera.

Much better than your first one Ron! I agree that it would look good in HDR. Makes for a lot more work in post but I bet the outcome would be great.

Pierre, you are asking the wrong guy here, I am only taking baby steps. :D

Jason, I have never done HDR & likely do not have what's needed to do so. I use Lightroom for my RAW images & not well I think.

Reznap, I started with a set of Macro Focusing Rails I got from China for about $70 but they are now less than $50.
Macro Focusing Slide Rail For Caon Nikon Pentax cameras - eBay (item 280361712787 end time Jun-17-10 00:43:07 PDT)

I bolted on a two-way level from Princess Auto that cost a dollar. This is a real sweet set-up for macro work & I have no hesitation in recommending this kit.

To mount the Camera in portrait position I purchased a "L" bracket for $1.50 drilled & tapped it for ¼-20 thread to mount it on the focus rail, used the existing hole for a ¼-20 camera mount screw taken from a two-way focus rail & used contact cement to fasten a rubber pad to the vertical leg. Here is a pic to demonstrate.

Panamod.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Love the tripod!

I chose portability over stability and, for the most part, don't regret it. Seeing stuff like this, though, makes me sad for my bank account. I will never be satisfied I fear ...

I thought bracketing might be a solution as well, but having never used it I declined to comment.

Most reactions

Back