Second attempt at smoke for C&C!

lyonsroar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried some smoke photography a while back, but the one things that was hindering me was my lack of a flashgun. Well I bought a flash and redid my smoke shots.

Smoke shots without flash are in this thread:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...hoto-gallery/228518-few-smoke-photos-c-c.html

A few of the new ones, I've got a bunch more shots, but I haven't PP'd them yet. Look for updates in the future!

IMG_8995 by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

#2 (I flipped this one sideways to use as a computer wallpaper :mrgreen:)

IMG_9050 by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

#3 (not completely happy with this. It's kick ass as is I think, but it could be better. Looks a little cluttered in the spoon to me...am I being too critical?)

IMG_9058 by Lyonsroar91, on Flickr

So how did I do for the second time around? Did I improve?
So, what else can you do in the world of smoke photography?

The second one please me a lot, it is a powerful image.
Very good work.

#3 by far takes the cake. The smoke looks like a jellyfish taking off of the spoon. Yes, it could be better. For one, I'm not sure if that's dust on the spoon, but given the smoke is actually particles, it could be due to the smoke. Might want to try to get rid of the dust. It's an awesome photo though. Maybe try finding a beacon or something with cool shape like a vase? I'm enjoying these a lot though but I'm biased as a cigar smoker. I'm not usually one to give out secrets but find an Acid Atom or Acid Nasty cigar both create seriously wild looking smoke in a blue color. Have fun though, pretty cool pictures.

#3 by far takes the cake. The smoke looks like a jellyfish taking off of the spoon. Yes, it could be better. For one, I'm not sure if that's dust on the spoon, but given the smoke is actually particles, it could be due to the smoke. Might want to try to get rid of the dust. It's an awesome photo though. Maybe try finding a beacon or something with cool shape like a vase? I'm enjoying these a lot though but I'm biased as a cigar smoker. I'm not usually one to give out secrets but find an Acid Atom or Acid Nasty cigar both create seriously wild looking smoke in a blue color. Have fun though, pretty cool pictures.

Hmmmm...
Not dust. old spoon is scratched. I see what you mean though. Maybe I can smooth it out a little..

I too think number 3 is a cool shot.

not bad, i like the second one. Mind posting your setup?

not bad, i like the second one. Mind posting your setup?

Same setup as last time except with the introduction of the strobe. I also shot it handheld.

70b37c30.jpg

Wow, what a cool concept..guess I've never seen smoke photographed before! Personally, I am much more drawn to #1 and #2 because you are just letting the smoke be what it is......something about adding the spoon detracts from the smoke just being as it is...free-form, loose, organic, etc. The spoon sort of adds this "I'm trying to do something cool with smoke" theme, when you don't really need that....just simply the smoke being itself is cool enough. Does this make any sense at all??? Never knew I'd be critiquing smoke one day, of all things! In any event, I really like the images very much----very nice.

I think that drawing is the best....lol

#3 is a fun twist on smoke but get it in focus and some meaning behind it!!

I love the greenish tint to the bottom of the smoke in shot #2.

#3 is a great image.
Love the look of that tweaker's spoon. :)
It also reminds me I have about 3 or 4 episodes of Intervention that I need to watch on my Tivo...

I like these shots a lot, however in my experience asking for critiques on shots like these (specifically, there isn't really much you can do with it alone) is like asking, "What's your favorite."
After all if you wanted me to critique these I'd have quite a few problems with the images, however if you ask me what I like, I'd say I really liked the idea with the spoon in number 3 a lot. Somewhat semantics, but the difference is there :)

With all of the said! Find some uses for these, maybe introduce some more incense and different varieties, try to create more depth if it is going to be just smoke. You've got the lighting down but that is really the easy part; now you have many other options to increase the challenge of this exercise. Sure you have some smoke, but introduce a tightly bound group of incense and all of the sudden the smoke density is amazing; so much so that you can now introduce that spoon or whatever you want and really get some amazing pictures of this dense smoke interacting with different objects.

Also one more note- I have never tried it but look into smudge sticks. They are used to cleanse spirits from houses, as well as for other spells and things; however they are just big bundles of herbs that are made to release tons of smoke. It could produce an interesting result that is greatly different from incense and may even be more appealing then the thing wispy lines of smoke that stick incense creates.

Wicked photos, i've wanted to do some smoke photography myself. My thing is, how did you color the smoke? Also, how did you do the spoon? Turned it upside down let the smoke hit it and flip the photo?

I think that drawing is the best....lol

#3 is a fun twist on smoke but get it in focus and some meaning behind it!!

You jelly of my awesome drawing talent?
:lmao:
That's why I take pictures, I can't draw worth a $hit.

I love the greenish tint to the bottom of the smoke in shot #2.

#3 is a great image.
Love the look of that tweaker's spoon. :)
It also reminds me I have about 3 or 4 episodes of Intervention that I need to watch on my Tivo...
LOVE Intervention. Probably why I'm considering a career in Psych...

I like these shots a lot, however in my experience asking for critiques on shots like these (specifically, there isn't really much you can do with it alone) is like asking, "What's your favorite."
After all if you wanted me to critique these I'd have quite a few problems with the images, however if you ask me what I like, I'd say I really liked the idea with the spoon in number 3 a lot. Somewhat semantics, but the difference is there :)

With all of the said! Find some uses for these, maybe introduce some more incense and different varieties, try to create more depth if it is going to be just smoke. You've got the lighting down but that is really the easy part; now you have many other options to increase the challenge of this exercise. Sure you have some smoke, but introduce a tightly bound group of incense and all of the sudden the smoke density is amazing; so much so that you can now introduce that spoon or whatever you want and really get some amazing pictures of this dense smoke interacting with different objects.

Also one more note- I have never tried it but look into smudge sticks. They are used to cleanse spirits from houses, as well as for other spells and things; however they are just big bundles of herbs that are made to release tons of smoke. It could produce an interesting result that is greatly different from incense and may even be more appealing then the thing wispy lines of smoke that stick incense creates.
That's interesting. I had two sticks going at once and it was dense, but it looked really cluttered up. I suppose I could clean it up in post with burning and such.
Thank you for the advice...

Wicked photos, i've wanted to do some smoke photography myself. My thing is, how did you color the smoke? Also, how did you do the spoon? Turned it upside down let the smoke hit it and flip the photo?
The color is all done in Photoshop CS5 by applying gradients or just plain colors. It makes it really easy to do because the smoke it white/grey and the background is straight black,

That's an interesting idea with the spoon, flipping the photo, but that's not how I did it. I held the spoon in place and let the smoke drift up and around and it kind of gathered in the cup of the spoon and I took the shot. In post I removed the tendril of wafting smoke below the spoon. Maybe cheating, maybe not.

It's interesting to note that the picture with the spoon was the most popular picture I've ever posted to my Facebook page! Generally none of my Facebook "friends" really care about what I shoot, but for some reason they really liked that shot...weird...

I am definatly going to try this, but instead of insence sticks maybe a cigarette or cigar? I still have some sticks but iunno.

Wouldn't know anything about that. Never touched a cig or cigar of any kind...
I did try it with matches, but the problem is getting a steady stream of smoke that wafts in a predictable manner. At least that was my problem...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back