Second Thoughts...

I think there needs to be more rocks or none. Since you only have a little bit at the top of the frame it is distracting. Obviously croping them out is easier so I would try that.

It looks kind of murky to me, like it is somewhat over tone mapped, particularly in the mid-tones as if the Clarity slider in ACR was cranked on to hard.

It definately tells a story though.

I think there needs to be more rocks or none.
I think the cliff face (rocks) define the horizon. While it is high, the shore break in the lower right of the frame helps to balance and the subject (surfer) is in a power point in the frame. The vastness of the shot is spot on, as is the shutter speed used.

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

I think there needs to be more rocks or none.
I think the cliff face (rocks) define the horizon. While it is high, the shore break in the lower right of the frame helps to balance and the subject (surfer) is in a power point in the frame. The vastness of the shot is spot on, as is the shutter speed used.

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

This is pretty much why I chose to keep the cliff face in the background. I thought it gave the photo more depth and helped with the story, making it more dangerous. If I cropped the cliff out then there would just be white water. That kind of white water has to be caused by something.

Thanks everyone for the input. Honestly the shot was originally a little underexposed and I was trying out some new noise reduction software. I might have gone a little overboard with it. I think that;s where the murkiness came from. I'll reprocess it when I get some more time.

Ok I think my statement was a little misunderstood. I was saying I would like to see a little more of it because as is the little bit looks like an accident that it is there. So I would like to see a little more of it. However since the shot was already taken I was throwing out the idea of cropping it out. I agree that the cliffs to help define the shot I just think there needs to be a little more. Sorry for the confusion I wasn't very clear before.

Here's the new version. Let more of the cliff in the background and went a little easier on the noise reduction.

I like the photo. Good shot.

I like the original. The photo says exactly what you titled it. Very cool image.

Only could have been made better by a breaching great white shark!:lol:

Seriously though, great shot. Really makes me want to get back to the ocean.

Most reactions

Back