secondary lens for nature photography

jjb4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
New to the forum and the DSLR world. I purchased a Canon D60 with the 18-200mm lens. I have a trip planned for the end of August to Jackson Hole Wy for a couple of days fishing followed by a day trip to Yellowstone. I want to purchase a secondary lens to bring with me for wildlife and landscape photography, looking to spend around $1,500. Looking for some feedback on which lens would be appropriate. Or is the lens I currently have good enough?

Do you already have a tripod?

I'm not sure what lens would be best so I'll leave that for someone else. You may want to rent a lens for the trip rather than buy one, it would be a lot cheaper and if you decide you want one of your own it would give you first hand experience with whatever lens you go with.

Wildlife and landscape are somewhat typically polar opposites when it comes to lenses; landscaping at the wider angles whilst the wildlife is at the telephoto. For landscape, quality aside, your 18-200mm should be good for the wider angles at 18mm - meanwhile if you want to focus on wildlife you'll be wanting 300mm minimum - and ideally longer still if you can afford it.

I would consider:
300mm f4 IS L
400mm f5.6 L
100-400mm IS L

As options for wildlife usage which will give you quality and the long reach you are going to need. Since you are also fishing you might find that going for the 400mm or 300mm and then adding a good quality tripod (manfrotto or Gitzo) to your setup along with a good quality ballhead so that you can have the camera setup beside you as you fish, rather than always resting on the ground.

New to the forum and the DSLR world. I purchased a Canon D60 with the 18-200mm lens. I have a trip planned for the end of August to Jackson Hole Wy for a couple of days fishing followed by a day trip to Yellowstone. I want to purchase a secondary lens to bring with me for wildlife and landscape photography, looking to spend around $1,500. Looking for some feedback on which lens would be appropriate. Or is the lens I currently have good enough?

For wildlife a longer lens might be useful. For landscape, you could use what you have, or take a wider zoom.

Thanks for the replies everyone...

Overread I have been looking at the 100-400mm L series lens it would fill the 300-400mm range nicely

Kerbouchard I do have an old Slik tripod its a bit bulky and heavy but does the job.

Chriss the Enduro looks pretty cool

If you plan on shooting alot of stuff far away. I would give a try to the Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM APO Autofocus Lens.
price is fairly low. I was able to manipulate one the other day and it was really well built and the reviews are really positive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back