Sedona, AZ

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
_MG_8231.jpg

I like this - you used a wide-angle lens, right? Nice tones in the foreground and background, both very sharp. The only technical thing I'd mention is the dark sky on the right - don't know if that's from a polarizing filter or what.

I like this - you used a wide-angle lens, right? Nice tones in the foreground and background, both very sharp. The only technical thing I'd mention is the dark sky on the right - don't know if that's from a polarizing filter or what.

Good eye! You're right on the money. That's the problem with using a polarizer on an UWA lens (my Sigma 10-20, in this case). The sky polarizes in different ways across the field-of-view. I'm still futzing with this image to try to fix the sky, but it's tough.

Here's a slightly different take on the same scene:

_MG_8227.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Ian. I don't feel that the polarized section of sky in your first image is detrimental. It adds difference to what might have been a totally flat sky.

If you're really wanting to fix it, I downloaded it and successfully worked on it. I copied the background layer, then used the dodge tool over that section of sky until it matched the other section. I added a white layer mask to that layer, then painted black into the mask to take away the dodging effect from the areas of tree. Even on the lo-res jpeg it came out okay. Because you have said your images are not okay to edit, I then trashed everything.

Now, that second image, is totally badass!

Thanks, John. I sort of felt that way -- that the sky without that darkening was too flat. Anyway, I actually prefer the first to the second, but glad you like them both. I did show up in Albuquerque for a day -- went with my kids to the balloon museum --- then up to santa fe. They forgot their camera at the museum and we had to drive back down to get it ... LOL. I would love to show up in October for the balloon fiesta, but not this year, I'm afraid.

Thanks, John. I sort of felt that way -- that the sky without that darkening was too flat. Anyway, I actually prefer the first to the second, but glad you like them both. I did show up in Albuquerque for a day -- went with my kids to the balloon museum --- then up to santa fe. They forgot their camera at the museum and we had to drive back down to get it ... LOL. I would love to show up in October for the balloon fiesta, but not this year, I'm afraid.
I'll post photos?

That's a good crop - dramatic and moody because of the deep contrasts.

I'm visiting Sedona tomorrow! Great shot, I hope I get some this good!

I'm visiting Sedona tomorrow! Great shot, I hope I get some this good!

Let me recommend the Pink Jeep tours. A bit pricey, but great fun and good for photos.

Sorry I haven't gotten back!
I took the tour across the street from the pink jeep tours - forget the name, the mans name was Kevin. Great guide - knew alot about the area and I got some awesome shots. I went by that spot with the (no idea how to explain this) ground that has like a charge or power - you feel it tingling.

I got a shot of the big fire too!

Do you live in Sedona or just visit?

I live in Phoenix ... just visit ...

I never felt anything at the Vortex ...

Glad you had fun -- can't wait to see your shots. Was this your first time there?

I live in Phoenix ... just visit ...

I never felt anything at the Vortex ...

Glad you had fun -- can't wait to see your shots. Was this your first time there?

Oh, cool. I didn't go by Phoenix - it was probably CRAZY with Obama there, right?

The day I left the Grand Canyon he was coming in - secret service everywhere. They stick out so easily with the black suits in the desert. :lol:

I went to Sedona a long long time ago and don't remember much - so this is basically my first time.

The vortex felt strange - almost like my hand falling asleep when I put it above the rock. Very tingly. I wonder why you didn't feel it.

Anyway, I'll be posting my pics sometime soon - I have A LOT of pictures to look through and everything, but I'll get them posted soon.

Have you heard of "The Boulders" resort? I stayed there for a few nights... I got moved from 4 different rooms in 3 days, but it was great! You have a room - rooms different from normal hotels - it's like a small complex, each room is it's own little house and you have a backyard which goes out. I found a few rattlesnake eggs & scorpions too.

Most reactions

Back