What's new

Seeking critique : Photos of trip to Sri Lanka

abovenormphotos

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jan 17, 2014
Messages
149
Reaction score
40
Hello to everyone on the forum.

This is the first time I am posting photos here for critique. I am looking for your advice and recommendations on how to further improve my photography on the whole.

These are some of my photos taken on a recent trip to Sri Lanka in December.

1. Playful Monk





At one of the hill-top temples in Kandy, we chanced upon a group of young monks who were flying a kite. When the kite got stuck on the roof, one of the older monks raced up the tiled roof to rescue the ensnared kite, to the delight of the others watching below.

2. 2nd Largest Lake in Sri Lanka





With agriculture being a mainstay in the lives of the people, irrigation and water issues were a source of constant concern for the people. To ease the fears of the people and to write themselves into the history books, many kings made huge lakes in the farmlands. Here is one such lake we stopped at, on the way to Polonnaruwa, as we watched the sun set in the horizon.

3) View from Nuwara Eliya : 2 image DRI Blend.

And finally, we reached my favourite destination. Nuwara Eliya. Little England as it is otherwise known as by the locals.


This is the view from my hotel balcony. Stayed at the Ashley Resort which was way up high on one of the hills.


Thanks in advance!! Do advise on all aspects including composition, technique and post-processing.
 
I think the sky hurts all of the images. I like the guy on the roof but the sky is blah.

Sky and water are blown out in 2. Sky is blown out in 3. It makes me look at something that does nothing for the image.
 
ya ill agree the sky is killing the photos... gotta try and get some of the details back in 2 and 3. the guy on the roof is good but its just so blah behind him
 
on the first one it might actually just be all the dead space... try cropping it down a few differnt ways
 
I think the sky hurts all of the images. I like the guy on the roof but the sky is blah.

Sky and water are blown out in 2. Sky is blown out in 3. It makes me look at something that does nothing for the image.

Mike Lamb. Thanks for dropping by and commenting. Appreciate it. Now that you mention it, the sky is over exposed in the last two photos. As for the one with the monk on the roof, I thought the negative space would accentuate the focus on the monk. I guess it didn't work out that way.
 
on the first one it might actually just be all the dead space... try cropping it down a few differnt ways

Thanks BlueCobalt. I thought the negative space in the sky would provide a good measure of contrast. I guess not. Shall try a diff crop as advised. M
Thanks again!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom