Seeking honest criticism + some advice:

manimal347

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In an attempt to pick up photography, I bought myself a Yashica Lynx 5000e rangefinder off Ebay. It currently has no batteries, so I'm using it unmetered and trying to follow the sunny f16 rule as best as I can. I took it downtown today and christened it with its first roll of film, and the second I've shot since high school photo class. I'm trying to go for an impromptu street photography look, which catches people in natural motion with their environment. I'd like criticism on both the cons on working with vintage gear as a new user, and on my attempts at composition and lighting.

Oh, and I think these were all shot at iso 200 at f-16 aperture at either 125 or 60 shutter speed.

Image Hosting

Image Hosting

Image Hosting

Image Hosting

http://www.imagecross.com/

In my opinion, the fourth photo is too bright, and the focus isn't great.

As for the other three, the cars and passersby are a bit distracting; I know what you're going for, and I think that you could execute it beautifully if you keep working at it.

As of now, they look accidental and unintentional. Perhaps if you focused more on the actual people and less on the surrounding architecture, it wouldn't look like a crowd of people got in the way of your photoshoot. :)
Good luck. ♥

Last edited:
Average people, doing average things, on an average day, from a distance.

They look like regular pictures, nothing intriguing about it.

Try learning your focal points. These are just too busy that's why they come across as average.

Most reactions

Back