Seeking tips for a Family Shoot.

cdg2985

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some tips for a family shoot that I will be doing this weekend, I'm a beginner, and I'm doing this for some close friends, I won't be charging them, it's more of a learning session for me. Just wondering if anyone has some useful information, the shoot will be outdoors, most likely near a pond and garden setting. I will only be equipped with my Nikon D90, tripod and a speed light. Help!

We are planning on 6-7pm, when the sun isn't blaring.

Use the tripod to hold the refelctor.. dont bother putting it on the camera. Take a lot of shots for each scene. Hard to get everyone to look good all the same time!

I'm a newbie too, but somethings that I have found helpful:

Emphasize to the adults and any older children to look towards the camera--not at the baby/smaller child/dog :lol:.

This way you can take the photo when you do catch the "more difficult" subject's attention...

It also helps to have something to catch the little ones' attention... bubbles or squeaky toys or something like that.

Just some suggestions from a fellow noob :D Good luck!

Oooooh, bubbles! Awesome Idea...thanks!!!

Find the comedien in the group and get their assistance to rile them up. Often the technical flaws are overlooked if they have a picture showing the characters having fun. This will spark more fond memories than a stale shot of everybody standing to attention.

677354370_DuYDX-X3.jpg

Just my 2¢.​

nope, no lens, I find it easier to shoot when the camera is lighter

.....again, I am a beginner who is eager to learn...no need to poke fun ;)

nope, no lens, I find it easier to shoot when the camera is lighter

.....again, I am a beginner who is eager to learn...no need to poke fun ;)

This is what you wrote " I will only be equipped with my Nikon D90, tripod and a speed light" it's a good idea to include what lens you are thinking of using

Most reactions

New Topics

Back