Beginner camera for photos and video

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend with a day spa is looking for a recommendation for a beginner level camera to shoot before and after photos and some videos for TIKTOK and YOUTUBE and other social media. The people using the camera have little/no experience. Princess will be working there over the summer so she will be doing some of the shooting. I will try to offer some tips once they get started but won't be there for most of the shooting so it will be on Auto a lot at the beginning. I don't know anything about shooting video. Was thinking of recommending the Nikon 5600 with kit lens 18-55 and then a 35 or 50mm for the close ups. Thoughts? Alternatives? Will that video be better than a new iphone?

For those who don't frequent the Coffee House thread, Princess is my 18 yo daughter.

it all revolves around budget .. and ofc hard to advice something what you already don't know Peg, because you're very experienced member here .. Personally I would be thinking of small compact mirrorless ... I am/was thinking (for myself too) about Nikon Z50 because it offers the kit option with 16-50 and 50-250

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/VOA050K0...ld=1&keywords=nikon+z50&qid=1618348439&sr=8-1

which is imho great deal for a fair price .. also this camera won't get obsolete that fast as D5600 and moreover the whole pack (camera + 2 lenses) is fantastically lightweight ..

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Whatever they do I would suggest getting a nifty 50. Teach them when to shoot it at F 1.8 to provide separation from the background with a bit bokeh. That is one look that really separates a real camera from a phone.

Day spa and before/after indicates close ups of faces. If so a med tele is in order, 85 or 105 is what I’d be thinking. Let’s you get further away and be less intimidating.

I have the D5600 with the 18-55 and 70-300 kit lenses. I've been pretty happy with it so far. We are not too far from each other so if you wanted to try it out for a couple of days I'd be happy to loan it to you.

F4C11EBC-4B5B-41DB-A84B-440C66003019.jpeg
51EFAA18-915C-4B80-8ACE-CDA8B709F61E.jpeg
9D65A786-509B-47AE-8A88-06DF8A329439.jpeg
Hiya I am going to offer a suggestion
A canon legria mini
Looks like a tricorder from Star Trek NG
Next to it for size is my I phone 6
It’s a vid camera but you can do stills

Whatever they do I would suggest getting a nifty 50. Teach them when to shoot it at F 1.8 to provide separation from the background with a bit bokeh. That is one look that really separates a real camera from a phone.

I agree- I shoot Pro portfolio's and use a 50mm f1.4 and an 85mm f1.4 does the job nicely :)

it all revolves around budget .. and ofc hard to advice something what you already don't know Peg, because you're very experienced member here .. Personally I would be thinking of small compact mirrorless ... I am/was thinking (for myself too) about Nikon Z50 because it offers the kit option with 16-50 and 50-250

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/VOA050K0...ld=1&keywords=nikon+z50&qid=1618348439&sr=8-1

which is imho great deal for a fair price .. also this camera won't get obsolete that fast as D5600 and moreover the whole pack (camera + 2 lenses) is fantastically lightweight ..

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't have any video experience. I'm sure my camera has a video option but I couldn't tell you where it is!

Agree about the 50 but they will likely be using a crop sensor...

Day spa and before/after indicates close ups of faces. If so a med tele is in order, 85 or 105 is what I’d be thinking. Let’s you get further away and be less intimidating.

Thanks - not sure if they will have the space for that. It's a big place but most of the treatment room are smaller.

I have the D5600 with the 18-55 and 70-300 kit lenses. I've been pretty happy with it so far. We are not too far from each other so if you wanted to try it out for a couple of days I'd be happy to loan it to you.

Thanks that is nice of you to offer. Do you use it for video at all? How is the video auto focus? I've read somewhere that Canon has better video AF than Nikon but don't have any personal knowledge of that.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
View attachment 205487 View attachment 205488 View attachment 205489 Hiya I am going to offer a suggestion
A canon legria mini

Thanks. I think they want something a bit bigger than that. They won't be carrying it anywhere so no need for compact.

I agree- I shoot Pro portfolio's and use a 50mm f1.4 and an 85mm f1.4 does the job nicely :)

Thanks!

This is an interesting suggestion - looks perfect for them. Do you have this one or have you used it? Seems there is no 50mm lens option unless they also got an adapter?

I believe that in the meaning of general usability and versatility is this one pretty good

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1527427-REG/nikon_z_50_mirrorless_digital.html

because you have two lenses ... ofc it ain't a professional portrait set (with lenses that have f/2.8 and bigger) but based on many reviews the video capability of this camera is very good and focal length coverage 18-50-250 is just great ..

If you're looking specifically for cheap 50mm alike (35mm on DX =~ 50mm on FX) with f1.8 just get this one for D5600 .. I have this lens, it's probably the best and the most rewarding lens I have (however I use it rather minimal)

Agree about the 50 but they will likely be using a crop sensor...

I saw that. My favorite portrait prime is the 85 1.8 on full frame. As you know, the 50 1.8 on crop is roughly the same. Of course maybe a 35 1.8 might be better for what they are shooting but something with a little speed that is economical would really accentuate their results.

Last evening the neighbors had a little impromptu get together in my yard. The little kids and one of the dogs were there. I pulled out an old DSLR that I keep in my gym bag (you never know what you might see walking to/from the gym) and took some shots. It had the nifty 50 on it. Their Mom certainly could have taken the same shots with here phone but it just wouldn't have the same look. It just would not have been the same if I'd taken them with the 18-55 kit lens. I look like a photo genius when in reality it was a $50 DSLR I got at Goodwill with a $125 lens along with a few little tweaks in post.

Since you can coach them, they'll certainly be able to achieve great results.

Last edited:
View attachment 205487 View attachment 205488 View attachment 205489 Hiya I am going to offer a suggestion
A canon legria mini

Thanks. I think they want something a bit bigger than that. They won't be carrying it anywhere so no need for compact.

Thanks!

This is an interesting suggestion - looks perfect for them. Do you have this one or have you used it? Seems there is no 50mm lens option unless they also got an adapter?

No but I seen a video about it a while ago and I thought it would fit what your looking for. I think that zoom would be very useful and versatile for both stills and video. Canon has sold a crap load of them for a reason. The kit has everything they need to get started.

D5600 and alike video capabilities are rather mediocre .. I believe that the best option is a small modern lightweight camera with changeable lenses which will bring a balanced performance for photo and video which will last quite some time ..

somebody earlier suggested Canon M50 (in some "content creator kit", lens are 15-45mm in that kit) which is certainly great option, I suggested thinking about Nikon Z50 in kit with both 18-50 and 50-250 lenses which is I believe great option too - perhaps more photography and canon is more videography ..

I have some old cameras and know D5100 and D5600 .. Video capabilities of these two are mediocre to below average and they will fall more over the time whilst two cameras mentioned above NOT

edit:

Canon EOS M50 MII is sold in kits with
** 18-150 mm F3.5-6.3 IS
** 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 IS + 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS

so good lens combination and focal length coverage too

Nikon Z50 has kit
** 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR + 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR

not sure if cannon version has some VR ... all these 3 options seem yummy ... I'd personally go for Nikon because the 16-50-250 focal length coverage with VR lenses sounds great

edit2: Canon's "IS" == stabilization .. so yeah, both have some VR/IS system ... good

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back