What's new

Selective Color (brass)

Efergoh

TPF Noob!
Joined
Aug 8, 2006
Messages
799
Reaction score
2
Location
Battle Creek, MI
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think? Cheesy?

Shawn1.jpg
 
Not cheesy to me at all. I like selective color. Would have been pretty cool if you could have gotten an empty shell casing flying through the air and colored it.
 
Snipers don't really let their brass fly. They open their bolts slowly and keep the brass. Makes them harder to track (by not leaving tell tale sings of their presence).

I do have a few shots with semi-autos with flying brass. Shutter speed has to be above 250 to stop it in flight with no blur. I'll dig some out and see if any are good candidates for coloring...
 
Oh, that's a cool shot! I like the selective color a lot there. I don't like the Nike batting glove though. Mizuno > Nike.
 
How do you do the selective color thing? I have seen it in quite a few photos and I really like it how can I accomplish this effect?
 
I made mine with CS2

I open the image for editing, then lasso the areas I want to be colored, and copy and paste them into a new layer.

I then desaturate the background layer 100%. I return to the top layer and use the erase tool to remove any colored areas that got caught up in the lasso. After I've adjusted the contrast of the B&W portion to my liking, I flatten the image and save the file.

I'm sure that there are easier ways of doing it, but I'm learning photoshop as I go along, and this is just the way I figured out how to do it.
 
You can also open a new adjustment layer, choose hue/saturation and then slide saturation all the way to the left and click ok. After that press x to switch the background to the foreground color and choose a brush and color away on anything that you want to be color.
 
Love the picture! Remington Model 700 (or for you the M40)?
 
Love the picture! Remington Model 700 (or for you the M40)?

Yup. Remington 700 VS (Varmint Synthetic). His is chambered for .223 and had the barrel knocked back to 20"

This is mine (a real M40 - more or less) :D God has deemed any serious rifle must be of a caliber that begins with a "3." (Only other gun owners will find the humor in that)

m40.jpg
 
Very nice. I have a Model 700 .30-06 and love it :)
 
ahhhhhh I LOVE THAT RIFLE!!!!!

I was denied sniper school because someone of higher rank wanted to go, DAMN THEM!!! I did take an unofficial sniper course though and took the M24 (I guess your M40) out to the range many times, I am so in love with it.

For me the M24 is the ferrari of sniper rifles sooo sexy.

I love the picture btw.
 
To do selective colouring I desaturate the image, then select my eraser tool, make sure 'erase to history' is selected and go over whichever parts I want to be in colour.

I like this image. One of the few that I've seen where the selective colouring actually works in an artistic way. Nice.
 
i think the picture is pretty darn cool.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom