Selective color C&C

Yeah I suppose without knowing the subject you would think it had no meaning. She loves "color" She wears different color socks, bright color items that don't necessarily go together because she loves being colorful. So to her (and why she requested it) the different colors are an important part of her life.

I love selective coloring...people have been doing it for ages. Nothing better than a hand-painted BandW...and I like this too. Very nice

So what if people have been doing it forever! It was just as tacky then as it is now.

What is important about this image - the subject or the headband?

I'm looking at her wristband. I'm looking at her headband. I'm looking at her top. What is that, a bikini underneath? It has funny buckles or adjusting things in back. The straps seem wide for a bikini, too. Maybe it's a sports bra or something. Yellow and purple seem like an unusual colour combination, but they appear to work well here. Oh look - there's also a girl!

Oh okay - If your daughter requested a heinous selectively-coloured photo, then I see little harm. Someday she'll know better. ;)

Seriously, though, what's going on with the shadows on her leg and neck? Something seems odd.

Who knows about the shadow - yes the subject is the headband and the shirt and the wristband etc. So at least I know I got you to look at the subject :)

This all sounds like justifications to me. But what do I know.

I find it important to please the recipient.

I find it important to please the recipient.
At the end of the day, this is what counts. When we are shooting for ourselves, we do what we want. When we are shooting for someone else, we listen to what they want, make alternate suggestions if we feel that they're idea isn't optimum, but if they insist, we do it there way!

I get lots of requests to do nasty overprocessed HDR images of peoples vehicles for some reason. I dont' personally like them but I'm not the one paying myself.

I get lots of requests to do nasty overprocessed HDR images of peoples vehicles for some reason. I dont' personally like them but I'm not the one paying myself.

The customer is always right.

So then as long as the client's needs are met, we're all suposed to ignore an image's shortcommings?

I'm not the customer.

No, however the points you continue to make in this thread are about the selective coloring which was specifically requested. My intention for C&C revolved around everything else. I believe I mentioned this early on if not at the beginning of the thread that particular part was requested.

The comments about chopping off the fingers, the shadows, etc...those are greatly appreciated, people that continue to dwell on the fact it's selective color and nitpick for that reason are basically just writing to "hear themselves talk"

Unpopular, we get it, you dont' like selective color and for that reason it's a horrible image. :)

See. That's the problem with selective color. It's an effect that dominates an image; when selective color is being used, it's impossible to see the rest of the image. Not looking at the image now, all i remember about it is purple. I couldn't tell you much about the girl, how old she is, what color her hair is, nevermind my impression about her personality.

Interesting, the only purple color was a small spot on her bathing suit top you could see above her shirt :p.

Here, made this one jsut for you:

sierra2.jpg

I was refering to the headband, actually. Which I guess is more pink than purple!

It's a nice portrait with good DOF separation, if not a little less DOF might be a good idea, excellent b/w conversion, though the skin seems a little airbrushed - maybe not, just a bit digital and sterile ... otherwise silvery. As others have pointed out, the hand is cropped oddly, but the moment is captured well and candid.

A 4x5 crop ratio might be better?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back