selective colouring

dream rider

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

im trying to do a close up of an eye, and i want it to B&W except for the center of the eye...now i have photoshop, but im not sure how to do the selective colouring part, nor do i know how to brighten up the coloured part(make the eye's colour stand out more). if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

There are several different ways to do it. First thing you need to do is edit the photo so that the color portion appears the way you want it. In this case, to make the eye stand out more, adjust the saturation and contrast. Only about +10 on both for starters. Once the photo is the size you want it, sharpening will help give it some more *pop*.

Once the colors are how you think you want them, create a new layer. You don't seem to familiar with PS, so the easiest thing to do is just create a duplicate layer and desaturate it. Now your photo will look b/w. But it will be pretty flat. Again you can adjust the contrast to get a little more pop.

Now, make sure that you are on the duplicate layer. Use your eraser tool and erase over the area you want to become color. What it's doing is erasing the b/w and letting the color from the bottom layer show through.

There are several ways to do this, and the more you know about PS, the better your results will be. This is just to get you started.

Good, glad it worked :thumbup:

Now, instead of just desaturating, try and do a 'new adjustment layer' 'channel mixer' layer or if you have any b/w plugins, use those. You're b/w will have a more dynamic range.

Most reactions

Back