Selective Focus Horse with Owner

JimMcClain

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
1footinthegrave.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After reading some about selective focus pictures, I decided to make one yesterday. Our local college has an equestrian center, so I rode my Segway there to see what I could find. I had previously spoken with the director and got his permission to shoot any time I wanted during classes.

This was taken with my Nikon D810 and Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD at 70mm, f/3.5, 1/200s, ISO 400 hand-held. PP in Lightroom 5.7 with an assist by Photoshop.
frc-equestrian-ctr1501-10-x1080.jpg

Your C&C appreciated.

Jim

selective focus pictures?????

selective focus pictures?????
Some people think all pictures with a shallow depth of field are "selective focus" because they choose what to focus on, allowing everything else to be out of focus. But real selective focus is where some of what is out of focus has a direct relation to what is in focus - it tells part of the story, rather than being just a background element.

That's my opinion and I am sticking to it. ;)

Jim

Nice photo. Not sure I like the processing on her nearest arm, does not look natural. Might be the out of focus effect-not sure.

Horse people will like it a lot.

Horse people will like it a lot.
And I live in horse country. :) Of the 4 pictures I developed from this session and posted on my facebook timeline, the picture above has been the most popular. Here are the other 3, which have also been enjoyed and shared a lot:

frc-equestrian-ctr1501-03-x1080.jpg

frc-equestrian-ctr1501-08-x1080.jpg

frc-equestrian-ctr1501-18-x1080.jpg

Jim

Love it. Nominated for January POTM. :smile:

Very nice shots Jim!! I love the setting here and the tone you've captured! Beautiful.

yeah, something looks a bit weird to me on her nearest arm, but that is only a minor critique- I really like this photo.

Most reactions

Back