Self engagement photos C&C

nateMN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took advantage of my new tripod and it's ability to swing out for a straight down shot (yes I didn't shop the legs out).

1) ISO 200 20mm f/3.5 1/50
4029687879_a03287af59_o.jpg

(I know realize my error of f/3.5 because I left it from a previous shot)

2) ISO 200 50mm f/1.8 1/200
4030442946_1a1a7e9601_o.jpg

Great shots, brah! I think you could have afforded to use a slightly high F/ in the first one. there is not much DOF to work with in the first place and the focus seems to be her, with you looking a little less crisp and not in focus.

second one is excellent, great composition and exposure!

I REALLY like the second one, they are both good, but the second one looks like a genuine affectionate moment.
Congrats on the engagement by the way!

second one is great! and congrats, she's cute!!!

Thanks for the replies. I agree with the first one being at such a low (high) f. Wasn't thinking right when I was composing.

Question about DOF... I shot the second one at 1.8/f, but the background still is fairly sharp. What gives? Tripod wasn't that far away (8 feet maybe). I know at a macro level the DOF is very small at such a large aperture, but I though 8 ft would still give me decent bokeh??

I guess this might sound noobish, but why would you shoot iso200 with a tripod when you are at 1/50 (or the 1/200) and there is no apparent movement?

I think the second one is a lot better.

That background on #2 is to die for! I wish we had that type of foilage here in California.

I guess this might sound noobish, but why would you shoot iso200 with a tripod when you are at 1/50 (or the 1/200) and there is no apparent movement?

I'm also a noob, but he was shooting himself in the pic so I'm guessing it's because someone had to hold the camera

Pretty good job. The second photo is quite cute. Someday you'll find yourself with her, both of you having grown old and gray and stooped over. Or...someday you might find yourself splitting up everything with her. In either case, these lovely photos will still be around to remind you of this fall in 2009.

I'm also a noob, but he was shooting himself in the pic so I'm guessing it's because someone had to hold the camera

he said he was using a tripod so no one was holding the camera...and yes a smaller iso and a longer exposer time would have done a lot more...
good luck

I was wondering the same thing about the ISO. I had it in auto mode for ISO and was shooting in Av mode. I know as ISO increases, the quality of the image decreases. From what I've read about my Rebel, it seems to not really get bad until making the jump from 400 to 800. That said, would I actually notice a difference from 200 to 100?

I'm guessing most (if not all) would say shoot at 100 when using a tripod if shutter speed is not of importance (still subject like my shots). The same thought crossed my mind when I was selecting my camera settings.

I really like the second one. The first one is good, but not getting your elbow in the shot is bugging me.

Most reactions

Back