Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was quite a challenge!

So a few metres away I had my camera set up on my tripod, I had my horse just grazing on the lawn while i played around with settings. Trying to line it up properly was a mission and Cruise kept insisting on wandering around! Most of it was guess work - Picking where Cruises head would be once he lifted it, setting the 10 second timer then running over fast as to Cruise in time before it went off! Needless to say majority of the photos didnt work! :lol:

I know there is alot wrong with them, but its first attempt (Will be alot easier if i had somone to hold Cruise or press the timer.

But heres the best 3 out of about 20 (After about 20 shots Cruise was getting rather ****ty at me interupting his feed time!)

61800_429208689101_647904101_5104385_2501926_n.jpg

I was HOPING the count down bleeping would have made him put his ears forward - But no! :er:

60447_429208769101_647904101_5104387_5762862_n.jpg

I like this one but the background is way distracting ae? I tried blurring it out in the PP, but looked so fake! i think its SLIGHTLY blurred than the original though...

60447_429208774101_647904101_5104388_3263316_n.jpg

I think this one best, regardless of his ears still backwards, I quite like it, just dont like how his ear got cut off again.. :grumpy:

But what are your opinions? :D These were taken in high sun too! :er:

You are already naming the best of the three, as well as the flaws you detected yourself, so actually you've already said it all ;). Given the difficulty with which these were taken (just you, tripod, timer, and a horse that got more and more annoyed at having his feeding time interrupted!), they came out well, I think.

Yes, the harsh light was not to your favour, but I take it this was only a first attempt, and more will follow.

wow I can't imagine these were easy to take!

I agree the lighting was harsh, to bad a friend with a diffuser wasn't on hand :p

I think the B&W blend your clothing patterns and the background, maybe try different clothing to stand out more. I like the color one because you stand out from the background.

Composition-wise one I think #3 is the winner :)

Yeah I was just half expecting Cruise to trot off and not let me catch him again! - That would have made a great photo!

hmm your right, perhaps B+W doesnt really work.
I agree with you, I like number 3 best also :D Thanks

Dang, what a project!!! Kudos for going through all that hassle! I think that out of the three you posted I like the last one the best. I may like the first one better if it was in color, but it's just a personal preference of mine since I generally prefer color to black and white. Beautiful horse, btw!!!

Ha! You crazy photogs! The things we'll do for photos...not too easy without an assistant...

I wouldn't even have had a chance at getting a photo close to this...so thumbs up for getting so close on your own...

I agree the lighting was harsh, to bad a friend with a diffuser wasn't on hand :p

It's amazing what a flash will do in these circumstances. It will get rid of the harsh light shadows and make the colors pop.

Last edited:
I bet just putting a white sheet on the ground would have really helped light up the shadows and allow you to reduce the exposure a bit. But impressive attempts considering you were using a timer.

It's amazing what a flash will do in these circumstances. It will get rid of the harsh light shadows and make the colors pop.
External flash though right? I dont have one :lol: A pop-up flash wouldnt have much of an effect would it?

I bet just putting a white sheet on the ground would have really helped light up the shadows and allow you to reduce the exposure a bit. But impressive attempts considering you were using a timer.
Good idea! Next time ill do that and hope - A) Horsie dont stand all over it or B) Horsie doesnt freak out at it and run away! :lol:

I have been trying to do self portraits and have not taken a single decent shot yet! As mentioned before, I bet it was quite difficult to get this done. I think they are awesome.

these are pretty good, only thing that might improve the shots is a big ol smile :thumbup:
Hahaha! :lol: Im the most UNphotogenic person you will EVER meet! this is such a rare occasion for me to be in front of the lens! Big ol' Smile will not ususally happen! im never impressed to be in photos! :lmao:

mrsmacdeezy - it sure was a hassle! damn horse kept moving after I positioned it all etc! Aww Thanks, Cruise photographs beautifully somtimes - Like when im NOT riding him! haha He look like Such a dork somtimes, Such a lovable horse! (Not so lovable when he throws me off him like he did last sunday and a huge event! - Nutjob horse) :lol:

Most reactions

Back