self portrait attempt

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
cc welcome. my battery died so I had to call it quits.. lol I may try again another day this week. did the timer/run for it method and sharpness isn't the best ;\

selfportraitdec29 by Bonnie Craig, on Flickr

The lighting is nice, albeit a bit flat/unexciting. The main issue I see is that you're leaning back a lot. Try leaning forward just a bit.

Facing one large open window is all. Noted on the leaning back!

I'd like to see all your hair on the right hand side of your body, exposing and accentuating the neck. Moving your head slightly forward will add to this effect and also tighten the skin under the chin. Not that you have any "issues" there at all but, look into a mirror and pay attention to how that area behaves under normal posture, as opposed to extending the head and neck forward slightly. It may feel somewhat awkward but, it won't get translated to the image, well not unless you over do it. I'd also like to see some negative space between the arms and body. At the moment you feel kind of deer-in-headlamps and the tension is apparent. A little space would give a more flattering profile and shows off the female form. Only having a few seconds to dash back in front of the camera, certainly will account for a lot of this.

Experiment with your position relative the window too. As @tirediron says, the light is quite flat and unexciting. I'd like to see more depth by having the light fall off more into shadow. If the window is "normal height" from the ground, try sitting on the floor. The light source will then come down on you from an angle, allowing you to play with the shadows more. If it's like a patio/french door, moving yourself to the very edge of it or even a few feet in front of you. If you have a hand held mirror, use that to watch where the highlights and shadows fall. A few degrees can make all the difference. See if you can create a Rembrandt lighting style using the window.

Did Santa not bring you a remote shutter release?

I do have a remote shutter and now I can't for the life of me find it!! lol I will have to look for it, maybe after kids go to bed.. because that would seriously make a huge difference here!

Look under their pillow or bed lol. Kids are buggers for seeing something cool and wandering off with it. Usually after they've dribbled all over it or covered it in chocolate.

I definitely put it somewhere for safe keeping the last time I found it.. haha its REAL safe wherever it is apparently.

Yeah I do that a lot. Lately I seem to to go looking for stuff that I already possess. The other day I spent a good few minutes looking for my keys and cursing in the process. I actually had them in my damned hand the whole time. It wasn't until I put them on the bed so that I could pull it away from the wall with both hands, that I spotted them. I'm getting old. 38 is apparently the new 72.

error

Last edited:
Yeah, some good tips in this thread. The leaning back posture and the arms in tight to the body are just overpowering that pretty faced and smile with a just ever so slight vibe of uncomfortable-ness. I got a good chuckle out of your description of putting the remote trigger away so it would be safe, and how it is now "pretty safe"....that's what I call misplaced.

I do have a remote shutter and now I can't for the life of me find it!! lol I will have to look for it, maybe after kids go to bed.. because that would seriously make a huge difference here!

Just like my wife and her keys - again!
I need to go help her search, last time they turned up in her jewellery drawer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back