Self Portrait C&C

fokker

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First real go at self portrait using a lighting setup (or any portrait for that matter). This was outdoors on an overcast day with slightly directional sunlight coming in from camera left. I had a 430EX shooting into a white bounce umbrella setup, mounted high and camera right, strobe on about 1/2 or 1/4 power. I had a hard time nailing the focus, which I guess is a caveat of all self portraits. I took about 20 shots and this was the one that I felt came out the best.

C&C on the shot is much appreciated, but you don't need to remind me that I'm an ugly bugger, I already know that! I'm trying to learn a bit about portrait and people photography now so I want honest feedback, I won't get offended.

Cheers!

25890_504888958377_205600195_30470095_930984_n.jpg

personally i think you did a great job. crisp focus, nice bokeh, eyes and face are lit well, great job ;]

I agree with foned, Fokker,this is well done..the catch-lites are good also!

it's good to have a face to go with your post..eventhough I'm not over here much any more,your post are some i enjoyed.and your critiques on my stuff have always been fair,and helpful!

Great shot and very nice lighting. I'm ordering my own lighting equipment soon, and I hope I can get results like yours!

That shirt really complements your eyes, and I like the background. My only issue is with the blue fuzz balls coming out of your head. For some reason it's distracting, but that may just be me. =) Maybe reshoot with only trees behind you so there is no sky, or more sky to balance it with the trees.

Great job though!

Techniqually is a good shoot
creative wise, not so much, and thats what makes a good portrait imo

do u play ultimate i recognize your face from some where?

foned and hopdaddy - thanks for your nice comments.

bekah - the 'fuzzballs' are areas of out of focus light from gaps in the trees in the background. I kinda like them as they made background a little bit interesting compared to just one colour. I just bought the light stand, umbrella and clamp holder for the strobe, total cost was NZ$100 for those three things. I have a second 430EX but am holding off on a second stand and umbrella setup as I'm moving overseas soon and don't want any extra stuff to deal with, but I'm pretty happy with what I can do with just the one umbrella at the moment :)

Jimmyo - Yes it wasn't supposed to be a creative shot just a standard portrait. First time I have even attempted a shot like this so pretty happy with how it came out. Can you show me some examples of what you consider to be creative portraits? I always was under the impression that a good portrait was pretty much done to a formula, just for the purpose of showing the person's face - a full body shot is a different story of course.

ibats - no, I'm not much of a gamer (though I did used to play counterstrike a few years ago)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back