Self portrait color or black and white?

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I was playing with my flashes (it's less fun than it sounds) and decided to take some self-shots with the remote. Using a beauty dish (diy) for key tiny bit camera left, softbox to the camera's left for fill and a blue-gelled flash pointed at the wall behind me.

I'd like some insight/critique on the lighting (or whatever else) and helping to choose black and white or color.. I think it's an acceptable lighting setup for males but I'd want some more fill on the right side for a female (at least that's what I'm thinking).

Thanks for looking!

5356044994_976095bf41_b.jpg

5356044828_11c61bc31b_b.jpg

I like the color version, quite dramatic. The right side of the B&W version seems a little to dark for my taste.

I like the color more. The b and w seems too dark. But I really like the color, I was playing with a flash earlier as well. It's interesting. Glad I'm learning though. Nice work again.
blue

I'm no lighting expert, so I won't comment on that. Could be me, but to me they look over sharpened, especially for a portrait. As for the B&W vs colour, I'll take the colour, but again I've never been a B&W fan.

I'm no lighting expert, so I won't comment on that. Could be me, but to me they look over sharpened, especially for a portrait. As for the B&W vs colour, I'll take the colour, but again I've never been a B&W fan.

The sharpening was intentional.. but I think you might be right that it's too far. I wouldn't sharpen a portrait of a female like that but I thought I could get away with it.

Thanks!

post the original.

p!nK

Sure thing:

wCtac.jpg

Also I made my neck look less fat with the liquify tool... kinda busted on that one :p

Thats a good edit. Nice work.

p!nK

Looking closer, on your right eye it looks like at worm or something. Not noticeable at first but pp definatly enhanced it.
Blue

Thanks p!nk lol..

That's how I see myself, still thin and 21 (I wish)

Looking closer, on your right eye it looks like at worm or something. Not noticeable at first but pp definatly enhanced it.
Blue

It's a blood vessel. I got really angry one day and it popped out and never went away.

I like the color, the pp has that sultry sexy mood to it, not sure if that's what you were going for but I like it!

I like the color, the pp has that sultry sexy mood to it, not sure if that's what you were going for but I like it!

:blushing:

Wasn't really going for anything in particular, just making adjustments and trying to get some good contrast. Thanks!

Here's my play on it.....

wCtac-2 by Matt Francosky, on Flickr

Went a lot further on the "contrasty" look you started with along side the over sharpened-ness which I liked. Played with some of the colors as well.

p!nK

Most reactions

Back