Self Portrait - Low Key - C&C

K_Pugh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first attempt at a self portrait. I had this idea in my head and thought i'd try it. I don't have a large room or black velvet etc to hang around, or any expensive lighting equipment. I basically positioned 2 torches, one either side, balancing them on all sorts of things to get the right angles and the light hitting the right spots. I positioned the hat on my monopod at roughly the right height to look through the viewfinder to make sure it was what i wanted. Made sure my background was dark enough not to show on the pic and i guess i got lucky (this was one of two shots i took).

img015-pp-r.jpg

I think maybe a little light on my right shoulder would have been better as the reflection off the side of the chair makes me look a little off-center.. although i like the darkness also..

This pic do anything for you or not? i got 95% what i was looking for here from what i envisioned in my head beforehand so i'm pretty happy with it but hey-ho i'm looking for C&C nonetheless.

Awesome idea. I like the shot, but for me there is too much negative space. Maybe a tighter crop would work better. It would be nice if there was a little more light to your left and right. Overall it's a really great photo. Kudos!

Awesome idea. I like the shot, but for me there is too much negative space. Maybe a tighter crop would work better. It would be nice if there was a little more light to your left and right. Overall it's a really great photo. Kudos!

I actually think the negative space works here. But I do agree about the light.

yeah thanks guys. I did initially try more light but as it's a small room the extra light lit up the background etc so i had to try make do with little torches.

I may attempt it again if i can find a better space to do it in.

Thanks.

Here's a quick attempt to lighten it up in Photoshop..

img015-pp2-r.jpg

Not sure if i like it better or not.. opinions?

brightness look fine in that gif to me, i can clearly see all shades. I am using an old CRT monitor though and i'm guessing it's not perfect anyway.

CRT is more accurate and stable over time than any other monitor type. That's why I haven't "upgraded" my oversized thing quite yet.

But anyway, the pictures are ok, from what I can see of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back