What's new

Selfportrait...or something(Me and myself)

Denon

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
123
Reaction score
21
Location
Sweden
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had some free time today and I did this. Really fun to do and I'm looking forward to try this again. Feel free to leave any C&C.

$Myself and I 2R.webp
 
It's been done before. I like the whole idea of looking into the mirror seeing something, then the viewers see something else. It's been done, but it's not gonna stop me from trying it one day lol.

Besides that I think it's a good feel I don't know the idea behind the mask or scarf. But the colors look good, a bit underexposed and crooked mirror?
 
It's been done before. I like the whole idea of looking into the mirror seeing something, then the viewers see something else. It's been done, but it's not gonna stop me from trying it one day lol.

Besides that I think it's a good feel I don't know the idea behind the mask or scarf. But the colors look good, a bit underexposed and crooked mirror?

Do it! It's a lot of fun to play around with and try different expressions. I wanted the mask because it symbolizes how people sees me but in the mirror I see myself and I can't hide from myself. This sounds really depressing but it isn't, I just wanted to emphisize that we act differently in public or with other people then we do when are alone. And the scarf? I just had a bad hair day ;)

I'll look into the underexposed bit. And the mirror is actually not crooked, I used a Zenitar 16mm Fisheye-lens.


Thanks. :)

lol. you look so skeptical!

I was quite skeptical and tired of myself as well. Also, I have a hard time beeing in front of the camera, need to work on that!

Thansk for all the feedback guys!
 
It's been done before. I like the whole idea of looking into the mirror seeing something, then the viewers see something else.
It's been done thousands of times... but I think it's the first time that I see the "normal" person in the mirror – pretty cool because it's not what one would expect. That being said, I'm not sure if the image's narrative makes sense, not just because of the role reversal but also because it's not clear what your expression is... I guess it's up to each viewer to figure it out.

Technically, I think the image is slightly underexposed (this could just be your choice) and that a lil' bit of post-processing would add some drama and help it avoid the "snapshot look". I wouldn't rule out trying a B&W conversion.

Just my 2 cents.
 
OK, I have some free time myself so I took the liberty of doing a quick-and-dirty edit (your profile says you are fine with others editing your photos). Basically I converted to B&W, added contrast (quite a bit), played with the colour sliders, and did some quick dodging/burning (mainly to darken the corners, and also to highlight V and darken you in the mirror a bit).

I had to add the coarse grain to make the artifacts created by your cloning under the mirror disappear.

$Myself and I 2R copy.webp

This is just one interpretation, you don't have to like it. (I'll take it down right away if you ask me to.)
 
#1 problem here is distractions, such as stray items in the frame including hooks, racks and wallpaper, that all scream "i took this shot in my bathroom with my camera phone". It just indicates a casually executed snapshot.
#2 problem is the expression on your face in the mirror. I'm not sure what to extract from it.

I like Federico's edit, but the image could be re-done much better from the ground up.
 
OK, I have some free time myself so I took the liberty of doing a quick-and-dirty edit (your profile says you are fine with others editing your photos). Basically I converted to B&W, added contrast (quite a bit), played with the colour sliders, and did some quick dodging/burning (mainly to darken the corners, and also to highlight V and darken you in the mirror a bit).

I had to add the coarse grain to make the artifacts created by your cloning under the mirror disappear.


This is just one interpretation, you don't have to like it. (I'll take it down right away if you ask me to.)

I like the edit! Thanks! I will try to redo the PP from the bottom and make the photo B&W (It suits the photo much better). And yes, next time I will try a different expression so the photo doesn't become so boring.

#1 problem here is distractions, such as stray items in the frame including hooks, racks and wallpaper, that all scream "i took this shot in my bathroom with my camera phone". It just indicates a casually executed snapshot.
#2 problem is the expression on your face in the mirror. I'm not sure what to extract from it.

I like Federico's edit, but the image could be re-done much better from the ground up.

#1 Definitely a good point and I will take it in mind for the future or try to do a proper edit where I take away every distraction.
#2 Yeah, maybe I should have done something different(something that's more obvious)

Thanks for the input! I have certainly gain some great input both on PP and location and will do a re-try later on;)
 
I disagree about the high-contrast bw, which I don't think suits this well, I'm not sure why. I would darken the wall behind you in the original and the corners on the right as well. Conversion to bw without boosting the contrast so much might be better, and I would probably use the conversion to darken the more saturated blue stripes to bring out a little more contrast in that particular area.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom