Sell or part exchange?

Forkie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.ianforknall.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been lucky enough to have aquired a near mint Canon 60d and a well used 400d along with a standard issue 18-55mm lens and a 28-135mm IS ultrasonic lens. I've been looking to upgrade for a while now and have found a website that has a practically un-used secondhand Nikon D300s (which I've been eyeing up for about a week) with the option for part exchange.

I could either part exchange these two cameras,lenses and my current Nikon D40 for the upgrade I want, or I could sell them separately and hope to get enough to purchase it outright.

My question is thus: Which do you think would be the wiser option? In your own experience have you had better value by part exchanging or by selling and using the resulting cash?

Note: I'd rather not keep the 60d. I appreciate its a fairly meaty thing on it's own, but I fear I am now an institutionalised Nikonian - even though I've been using only a D40 until now, the D300s has a very familiar feel which I like.

Generally (not relating specifically to photographic equipment) you will get more money selling the equipment privately. The trade-off is that you may have to wait a while, and will doubtless have to deal with a lot of tire-kickers, etc. It seems to me however that trading in three bodies and two lenses for the D300s is taking a bit of a loss. I think I would be inclined to try and sell them privately, and if doesn't go well in say a week or two, then just take the hit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back