Selling at a Country Fair

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So there's this local country fair here near by me. The Bolton Fair.

The Bolton Fair

For those of you who live in New England, these kinds of things are probably pretty normal to you... but think of the bucolic (check out the wordage) sort of pleasant setting with tractors, livestock from the 4H club being judged, cheap crappy delicious food and reasonably dangerous carnival rides, and you basically have the idea.

Oh and crafts.

So there are lots of tents with crafts of all sorts. Everything from handmade wooden flowers (which are quite neat), all the way up to hand-carved tables. People also setup booths for things like solar panels, the latest tractor attachments, and whatever else you can think of. No shamwows, tragically. That's more for the BIG E. :)

Anyway... I've put my pictures in the photography competition there for the past 3 years and come away with Best in Show, which is kind of neat, but this year I was thinking about maaaaaaaaaaaaybe putting my pictures in a booth for sale.

I'm curious of anyone's thoughts on this at all, though particularly some specifics:

1. Has anyone done this? What was your experience? What were you selling the pictures for (pricewise)? What prep did you do? Any insights?
2. Does anyone think this would work?
3. Do you think anyone would buy any?
4. Do you like monkeys?

I was -thinking- of putting up the framed pictures I have now in hand and pricing them around $225-350, depending on the picture. I was also thinking I could print up one mounted print of each of them and sell those unframed... $150-200 or something like that. (pictures are generally around 12x18)

One of my concerns was if someone bought the pic and took it that I wouldn't have a demo piece anymore, which would kinda suck (I was thinking I could also take orders). Thought maybe a "take it now price" of $50 more vs. a "we will deliver it to you price"... not sure if that would really work.

Was also thinking I could have a book printed up with all the pictures so folks could look through them and order from that.

There's no electricity at the fair, unfortunately, so I can't bring a TV or anything.

I suppose I could also post up the pictures I would have there if anyone was interested...?

I've not done it myself, but there's an arts fair in my area every summer that has several vendors selling prints, and the ones that seem to do the best are those who have some nice, large show-pieces, and then LOTS of 5x7, 8x10, and 11x14 unframed prints in the $20 - 75 range. I've not seen many of the big prints go, but the smaller, [cheaper] ones seem to do reasonably well. I've also noticed that what seems to sell most is local area shots. (I was actively considering going this route so I did a fair amount of research a couple of summers ago)

No Shamwow??? But then, it's not a Big E...which is 1/4 mile from my office.

If the Big E is any measure, most of the sellers are selling stuff to 'take it now'. Basically, if it's something that can be carried by the individual, they'd probably prefer to have it now. Or, at a minimum, pay for it now and pick it up before they go home. It's also less for the vendor to pack up and take home with them. The exception to the 'take it now' philosophy seems to be things that are too big to carry around for the day...or even easily get out of the park. I'm thinking "The Little Giant" folding stepladder. Those things weigh about 50# each, and have optional attachments, individually boxed, as well.

Obviously, if you think some local area pictures, such as sunsets at various landmarks, etc, would sell well, why not print up 4-5, but only frame and display 1. Carry a quantity of empty frames with you, that way you could quickly frame up another image as the first one sells. Basically, I'm thinking have 20 pictures framed and on display, and 3-4 additional prints of each (if they aren't prohibitively costly to produce) in an appropriate case, and then perhaps 20-30 additional frames...perhaps 15 or so under the table and the rest back in your car.

On the other side of the coin, you may discover that most of the country fair attending types don't walk around with several hundred dollars cash in their pockets. They're thinking more like $20 or so for food per person and maybe as much $100-200 for 'buying things' such as quilts or whatever at the fair. So you may want to re-think your pricing structure. I'm thinking it's not so much as what are the pictures really worth - $200 and up, for example - as what is most likely to sell at what price. Depending on your costs and time investment for each, maybe $50-100 would be a better price for, say, 8x10 size. Larger prints go for higher prices, of course. Then, for the pictures that have already won 'best of show', add an appropriate amount. Of course, being able to take credit cards on the spot using a cell phone connection would most assuredly improve your sales opportunities.

Just my $.02 worth.

I've not done it myself, but there's an arts fair in my area every summer that has several vendors selling prints, and the ones that seem to do the best are those who have some nice, large show-pieces, and then LOTS of 5x7, 8x10, and 11x14 unframed prints in the $20 - 75 range. I've not seen many of the big prints go, but the smaller, [cheaper] ones seem to do reasonably well. I've also noticed that what seems to sell most is local area shots. (I was actively considering going this route so I did a fair amount of research a couple of summers ago)

No Shamwow??? But then, it's not a Big E...which is 1/4 mile from my office.

If the Big E is any measure, most of the sellers are selling stuff to 'take it now'. Basically, if it's something that can be carried by the individual, they'd probably prefer to have it now. Or, at a minimum, pay for it now and pick it up before they go home. It's also less for the vendor to pack up and take home with them. The exception to the 'take it now' philosophy seems to be things that are too big to carry around for the day...or even easily get out of the park. I'm thinking "The Little Giant" folding stepladder. Those things weigh about 50# each, and have optional attachments, individually boxed, as well.

Obviously, if you think some local area pictures, such as sunsets at various landmarks, etc, would sell well, why not print up 4-5, but only frame and display 1. Carry a quantity of empty frames with you, that way you could quickly frame up another image as the first one sells. Basically, I'm thinking have 20 pictures framed and on display, and 3-4 additional prints of each (if they aren't prohibitively costly to produce) in an appropriate case, and then perhaps 20-30 additional frames...perhaps 15 or so under the table and the rest back in your car.

On the other side of the coin, you may discover that most of the country fair attending types don't walk around with several hundred dollars cash in their pockets. They're thinking more like $20 or so for food per person and maybe as much $100-200 for 'buying things' such as quilts or whatever at the fair. So you may want to re-think your pricing structure. I'm thinking it's not so much as what are the pictures really worth - $200 and up, for example - as what is most likely to sell at what price. Depending on your costs and time investment for each, maybe $50-100 would be a better price for, say, 8x10 size. Larger prints go for higher prices, of course. Then, for the pictures that have already won 'best of show', add an appropriate amount. Of course, being able to take credit cards on the spot using a cell phone connection would most assuredly improve your sales opportunities.

Just my $.02 worth.

Yup, this is basically my concern... that folks will possibly buy things ~$50 ish, but may not at the higher prices. (I can take credit cards, though so 'cash' isn't an issue).

However, I'm just not going to sell them at that cost. It's not worth my time and ... I think ... devalues my work. From a pure profit perspective, just materials alone are...$50 for a 9x6 framed, $78.00 for a 12x18 framed. Prints are 10 and 20, respectively... so even without factoring time, booth rental, etc. I'd be taking a huge loss. :) (This is why it blows my mind when I see other people selling prints for around these prices.)

What you're suggesting would probably be ok if I had lower costs and was assured of high volume, but I think even at lower prices I'd be selling maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe 20 prints. Also because my costs are high it would be pretty cost prohibitive to stock up as you suggested, unfortunately.

Still... these are great insights and ideas and have made me think more about it. Thank you!

Around my area of MA. we have the Marshfield Fair. What I noticed at this fair is most people are out for a fun night of eating, drinking and entertainment not show much shopping. Most people will buy the cheap nic-nack crap. I think you might have better results at an arts fair or maybe even farmers market.

I think these type of events are more impulse buying than major art purchasing.

Maybe do a bunch of 8x10 and sell those at a lower price point.

Yeah, I can't really speak to whether the "country fair" setting is conducive to photography sales, but speaking to this kind of selling in general:

I used to participate in a fair number of art & craft shows, back when I did calligraphy for a semi-living (before computers took over, and before my hand tremors developed). I also did a lot of them when I was younger with my mom, who was an extremely talented painter.

My experience was that it is a LOT of work for what you get out of it. If you don't have enough inventory, people don't stop to look, they just look as they stroll by. With photography, it would at least be easier to come up with that inventory--calligraphy pieces that were all completely done by hand? Yeah, BAD idea to try to do hundreds at a time!

Generally, my sales were pretty decent, judging by how people around me were doing. I don't think I ever lost money, if you just consider the basic costs (inventory, space rental, etc)--but if you added in the TIME it took me to prepare and then the hours you spend sitting there in the booth...I probably made about two dollars an hour. :lmao:

I do think photography would be a little easier, in the sense of the time involved getting inventory ready. I've even thought about doing it myself--we have some pretty good art fairs around here. But maybe too many years of doing those shows when I was younger have burned me out on it.

At the fairs I go to around here, the booths I see that seem to be doing the best (in terms of traffic; no idea if they are actually selling the stuff) generally have 6-12 pretty large, framed pieces. Then they have about the same number of smaller, framed pieces and smaller, mounted but unframed pieces. Then, they have "stands" with matted prints, anywhere from 4x6 or 5x7 and up. And they ALWAYS have a variety of sizes of each print--especially those large framed ones. So if the large framed photo sells, they can offer a bit smaller version OR you can order the larger one.

I'd LOVE to know how some folks who have done this in the past few years have fared.

Do you have any airbrushed NASCAR memoribilia? That **** sells like hot cakes!

Around my area of MA. we have the Marshfield Fair. What I noticed at this fair is most people are out for a fun night of eating, drinking and entertainment not show much shopping. Most people will buy the cheap nic-nack crap. I think you might have better results at an arts fair or maybe even farmers market.

^^ Art Show

People don't go to a county fair because they want to shop for art -- if they do, it'll be that odd incidental purchase. Down in Fort Lauderdale, they close off the main street (Los Olas) and do an art festival on the first weekend of each month -- and it's _just_ art. There's nothing else there (no rides, no distractions... well, other than all the restaurants and pubs that are open on the street.) The place is absolutely PACKED with people. The difference is, people go _specifically_ because they want to look at and buy art. Since that's the main focus of the event, I think the artists do much better. Being a vacation destination there are also a lot of people who buy art and want it shipped.

BTW, I do agree with the comment that you need some particular large prints to draw people in. A booth with only lots of small & medium sized prints wont necessarily catch someone's eye as much as something particularly large and stunning. They may not buy the large-stunning piece, but it pulls them in and then hopefully they'll buy some of your other pieces (and if they do buy the very large piece, they generally don't want to carry it with them in their shopping bag... you tag it sold and they'll arrange to get it later.)

Best place to print photos?

What about business cards with your website on them?

Just trying to collect info myself. :)

However, I'm just not going to sell them at that cost. It's not worth my time and ... I think ... devalues my work.

Not sure there's much further to go once you've set up shop next to the petting zoo .... ;)

If you did portraits, you could use the photos for sale as a means to showcase work and offer some type of discount session.
Schedule them only if they leave a deposit so they have a better chance of showing up. Offer some type of "Fair Incentive" to help them decide.

I agree that the $$$ asked for may not be on hand for big stuff, but smaller framed versions might move enough to make it worth your time.

You never know till you try. Maybe I'll stop buy so I can point and giggle ...

My two cents. :)

For the type of venue you described, a country fair, you've priced your work too high. I agree with what others have said: try an actual arts festival, where there is nothing but booths of art, from photography to pottery to jewelry, maybe some metalworks and clothing, soaps, beeswax, some live music playing in the late afternoon - and food and beer. :) It generates a lot of foot traffic and you stand a good chance of moving stuff. Just have it ready to go - 8x10 prints, preferably matted and bagged, so all folks have to do is pick out a frame. Have a few larger prints framed and hung up for display to get them into your tent, and be willing to chat it up with people and not sell a thing - just enjoy the interaction and genuine praise for your work from people who are there to drink beer and listen to the band and not spend real money. Then, it's nothing but wonderful when you do sell a lot. ;)

I've done a dozen or so of these things, and yes - they command your attention for a weekend. Load in, set up, make it look like a little store, be comfy, and be ready for a couple of long days. But it's worth it when you do get genuine interest in your work and make sales. I do nothing but alternative stuff, and B&W - mostly 11x14 and 8x10s. I have it all matted and bagged, displayed in wooden wine crates. I carry my ragtag collection of old cameras along for display and it never fails to draw folks in and lead to wonderful, fun discussions. My work is generally priced in the hundreds only for the larger framed stuff, and back when I did a lot of Polaroid work, it was as low as $25-30 for an unframed emulsion lift. At the time, that price bought the next box of film, so I was cool with that. ;) People loved them and would usually buy three or four to decorate a wall. Others were willing to spend more when they learned about the processes involved (bromoil prints, hand colored B&W, lith prints, etc).

So, pricing is only as important as your actual costs, and only as important as what it means to you to risk coming away without selling anything and not even getting your entrance fee back. I tend to take a very relaxed view on that, and call it a success anytime I've exceeded earning back the entrance fee, which is usually how it goes. When I make prints, I tend to frame and hang what I really like - the rest will just pile up unless I can find a way to move them. But I'm not trying to buy my next car from the proceeds. Just more supplies. :razz:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back