Selling digital files

JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know many of you are "starting out", but before I got into photography I had never paid to have "professional" photos taken (other than like at Sears) to compare business policies/standards. So from your experiance how is this usually handled??

(Posted in General too, but there's always more action over here!)

I've been in "business" for a couple years now and the longer I am the more I'm learning.... I have a few questions on Copyright/Print releases.

Currently my release is basically for printing rights. It states the photos are not to be used for contest and/or advertising etc... Is this typical? Or do most photographers release their complete rights of the photo? I know regardless what you put in the release people are going to abuse the privilege of having your digital files (just the risk we take), but is it worth trying to prevent your images from showing up all over Etsy un-credited?

Also, in my older version there was a section on "online usage" where I could give smaller watermarked versions for people to use online. Again, is this more the norm??

I guess I just don't want to be too strict with them, but at the same time I still want credit of my work.

Thanks!

I stopped doing digital files except for friends and family. I do have my first wedding coming up soon that I have my friend/teacher/professional photographer shooting with me and I offered the bride a CD with her images on it simply because it's my first wedding and I honestly don't know how it's going to turn out. That is also the reason that I asked my friend/teacher (she was my friend before my teacher at my college lol) to shoot the wedding with me. I know her images will be awesome, she's done several weddings.

So, long story short, I don't do digital files (CD's, etc) for anyone that I'm not close to. Friends and family primarily. When I do my "specials" like for mini-sessions and mom's clubs and when it's a "model search" for me, then I do CD's but that's pretty much it.

It just seems in order to be competitive in my area I need to offer them the digital files. Plus, as a consumer that's what I would have wanted! And it's SO easy....edit, burn, mail...DONE! :) I have them pay for it all up front...in cash. I am going to start sitting down with them in the beginning of the sessions when I have them sign the model release form and explain the print release and make sure they understand the importance of a nice quality lab. Luckily we have an awesome one right in town and she supplies me with nice CD cases (black with boxes) and a coupon to give to my clients. It works great for me because I get the nice cases for free and better hopes of them printing them at a nice lab and she gets business!

I just don't know what the "norm" is for the releases. Should I allow them to ONLY post the smaller watermarked versions on the internet??

Ahh, I gotcha.

I don't think it really matters what you put on there. People are going to do what they want. I know if it was me (and I wasn't a photographer myself) and I bought a CD from my photographer and it had the high res printable images AND smaller watermarked images, I would definitely post the high res images where ever I was going to post them...

I got screwed way too many times on CD's... can ya tell? lol

(Posted in General too, but there's always more action over here!)
Today, customers expect being able to get the digital files.
Consult with your attorney on use license (print release) language/terms of use.

Photo Forum - Photography Forum - FAQ

*.......Do not cross-post messages in multiple forums in an effort to gain attention..........

Well, thanks for pointing that out....having my other post removed...and NOT answering my question! You've been a great help as usual :grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back