Selling photographic prints at arts & crafts events

blu2gras

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi-

Has anyone had experience selling photographic prints at arts & crafts shows and/or street fairs. I have several of my prints for sale in a high end gift store but, in two months, have sold only two. The photos are mounted and sleeved and are in a wicker basket for customers to browse.

I'm thinking about getting the shelter and furniture to participate in indoor and outdoor arts and crafts shows. I'd be interested in what anyone's experience has been doing that.

I've done one, and have a couple more on tap for the fall. They're tons of fun, and tons of work. :wink: If you really want to move your stuff, price it lower than what you'd normally charge. People tend to browse more than anything at these places. If you really want to make money you might keep your stuff where it's at and get used to slow sales for the prices you want to charge (plus I assume you lose a percentage of that to the store for commission).

I sold very little at the one I was at. A couple fellow artists and other photogs there were complaining it was very slow at that festival this year, for whatever reason. I was very satisfied with the near constant traffic and enthusiastic responses to my stuff, and had several great chats with people about what I do. I found it very rewarding. These fairs are definitely more like a festival/party atmosphere, with people dragging along children, hands full of food, beer, walking their dogs, etc.

I actually heard that you can do better at indoor "flea market" places. People tend to head there with more intent to make a purchase than at an outdoor festival where there's music and parades, and picking up a fine art print may not fit into the family sheme. If sales are what you're really after, you might check out booth space at one of these types of things and spend your weekends there to check it out. Good luck! :D

Terri:

Thanks much. Very helpful. We do have a number of flea markets in our area. I'll check them out.

Bill

Most reactions

New Topics

Back