Selling prints online - critics and opinions welcome!

fabthi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginevenice.com
Hi everybody
I am new to TPF and I'd like to introduce myself and what I am doing now and planning to do in the future about photography.
I have been a pro photographer for the last 25 years, mainly working in advertisement and fashion markets; since a year I am also working to establish a photography website for selling prints online.
The site is all and only about Venice, my hometown; you can see my images at imaginevenice(dot)com.
I'd really like to have opinions and critics about it, so please everybody should feel free to browse and, if you feel like, post here what you think of it.
thanks for your contributions
Fabio

Last edited:
I see what looks like thumbnails for some very nice images, but that's all. I cant' click on anything to get a larger view, and (if you'll pardon the expression) clicking on your links, all roads seem to lead to Rome, that is: they aren't working for me. There's nothing in your contact page and all the others just bring me back to the thumbnail gallery page.

I see what looks like thumbnails for some very nice images, but that's all. I cant' click on anything to get a larger view, and (if you'll pardon the expression) clicking on your links, all roads seem to lead to Rome, that is: they aren't working for me. There's nothing in your contact page and all the others just bring me back to the thumbnail gallery page.
Hi John
Following your post, I just checked with different pc, OS and browsers and everything looks OK to me (Contact opens a form within the main window to send email).
When you are in my homepage, there's a dropdown navbar just above the composite image: home - galleries - about - contact
Maybe you just have to scroll up a bit to see it.
What OS and browser are you using?
Fabio

The website works OK for me (Vista + FF3.6). I can click on the thumbnails, navigate around, etc.The only thing is on the "contact us" bit it took a minute for me to see there was an "x" to click to close that pop up and return to the website. It looks like it's actually part of the website and I wasn't clear how to get "home". Didn't try the buy options.

I'm using a 1024 x 768 monitor and I have to scroll right to see your home page. Other than that, I don't have any problems with the site. It also looks some what SEO-friendly too....which is a good thing!

pos: I really like "Evening Lights in St Marks Square". Great capture

Your site and photos look great with a white background.

Everything is relatively easy to find too.

neg: I would cut down site to the point where the viewer does not have to scroll to navigate at all

While the white bg is nice and the site is simple and easy -- it could be more attractive aesthetically, I wish I knew more about web design to explain what I mean, but the text and thumbnails and everything could look sleeker

Hope that helps!

Hi John
Following your post, I just checked with different pc, OS and browsers and everything looks OK to me (Contact opens a form within the main window to send email).
When you are in my homepage, there's a dropdown navbar just above the composite image: home - galleries - about - contact
Maybe you just have to scroll up a bit to see it.
What OS and browser are you using?
Fabio
Okay, it's probably my issue; I'm at work using Win XP Pro and IE 6

Okay, it's probably my issue; I'm at work using Win XP Pro and IE 6

Even back in it's day, IE6 was a poor browser...too many bugs. I would upgrade to at least IE8 (I use Chrome or FF). :thumbup:

Just let me call the Treasurery Board and take care of that! ;)

neg: I would cut down site to the point where the viewer does not have to scroll to navigate at all

That might depend on the monitor size you are using; it looks ok on my small 15" laptop.

While the white bg is nice and the site is simple and easy -- it could be more attractive aesthetically, I wish I knew more about web design to explain what I mean, but the text and thumbnails and everything could look sleeker

Hope that helps!

I agree with you; the thing is that I am on the SmugMug platform where I have a lot of room for customizations but there are limits to what I can do and also to what I am able to do at now (lots of CSS coding is needed).

What do you mean with "looks SEO-friendly"?
Fabio

I know you're using Smugmug, I have a both a "regular" site and a Smugmug site. I would say 99% of the Smugmug sites I say have the same basic look....no text and a slideshow. It may look nice, but not good for SEO. Your site has some inportant information (text) on your home page, as well as a good <title> tag....both good for SEO. Read my SEO for the Photograoher link in my sig to get more info on it. :thumbup:

I know you're using Smugmug, I have a both a "regular" site and a Smugmug site.

Can I ask you what's your purpose in having two sites that looks exactly the same?

I would say 99% of the Smugmug sites I say have the same basic look....no text and a slideshow. It may look nice, but not good for SEO. Your site has some inportant information (text) on your home page, as well as a good <title> tag....both good for SEO. Read my SEO for the Photograoher link in my sig to get more info on it. :thumbup:

I know I can do a better customization through SmugMug but for doing so I need to become more confident with all HTML and CSS stuff; it requires time (at least for me!) and also I don't want to risk to make a mess and spoil findability.
Besides that, I like a very clean layout, I think it helps keeping focused on images which are the main thing for me.
Thanks for your SEO tips; BTW your website is amazing, you really have wonderful pictures in it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back