selling prints?

justinspeaks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
looking for a site where i can display some of my better shots and have the option for people to purchase them as well. if any of you out there use an affordable and good one let me know. thanks

You can make your own web site for free at several places. I use www.tripod.com. But the customer service sux. I think you can also place a pay pal logo/link on the site. I have sold a few prints but I do better by making a portfoilo at mpix and selling them on consignment in local stores. Local landmarks are my biggest sellers. Find somewhere you can sell them and go have a couple framed and matted and cross your fingers. Try your visitors center and see if they will let you put a couple there. Nothing looks better than an 11x14 framed/matted and hanging on the wall.
Cosmo

http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php

Is a great site, and sell your prints directly from the site. Edit: Oh, and sign up is free, not sure when exactly you need to pay, if ever.

Istock is stock photography. They are very picky about what type of photography sells. You have to take a test and pass just to post. Then you have to post pictures for approval. It's not the easy to get in. You also have to sell a ton of pictures to make any money, they pay less than a dollar per sell.
Cosmo

Good info, Cosmonaut, I didn't know all that much about it. Don't go there, then! I did know you had to post for approval, but didn't know you only get a dollar per sale.

http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php

Is a great site, and sell your prints directly from the site. Edit: Oh, and sign up is free, not sure when exactly you need to pay, if ever.

Like Cosmonaut said this is a stock photography site where they only pay you 20% of the price they sell your image for. They should be wearing masks!!

Selling prints is different from stock photography. Very different.
In the UK sites like Photobox are quite good. You upload your image and can then specify the price you wish to sell it at. When someone orders your image Photobox then print your image at the customer's requested size and post it direct. They charge around 10% commission. I say around 10% because they credit your account before deducting their printing fee incxluding VAT so it may be slightly more than 10%.

Either way it's WAY more attractive than 80% commission. And although Photobox are UK based, they ship worldwide. I'm sure you could find an equivalent service in your own country though.

You have to shake the trees so to speak and get your name out there. Take pictures of interesting local stores and give the owners free copies of your prints. I took some night pictures of a local Catholic church and offered them to the Priest for free and they are going to print it on the front of the bulletin. I told them they could use the image all they wanted as long as I got credited for the image. Don't just make a web site and sit back and wait. You will sell more by word of mouth than any thing else. You can't really tell much from a web sized image. If you give a few away you will be rewarded. How many people do you thing will see the picture in the bulletin. Free advertisement for me for nothing.
Cosmo

stmarys02as-1.jpg

Great idea cosmonaut!
Not to be critical of your image but if the sky was deep blue then the image would be a bit more dramatic i think.

Well done on getting a free ad - it's always good to think laterally rather than just "can i sell you a print??"
:thumbup:

Great idea cosmonaut!
Not to be critical of your image but if the sky was deep blue then the image would be a bit more dramatic i think.

Well done on getting a free ad - it's always good to think laterally rather than just "can i sell you a print??"
:thumbup:

I agree but then the lights would not be on. I might go back when the skies are blue.
Thanks,
Cosmo

the reason i want to make one is because someone asked if they could buy some prints. more than a site that sells my prints i want pretty much my own website with the option to buy prints but a website through like a photo community i just dont know any.

the reason i want to make one is because someone asked if they could buy some prints. more than a site that sells my prints i want pretty much my own website with the option to buy prints but a website through like a photo community i just dont know any.

I think if you join the PPA, they will allow people to buy high res images right off of your personal site. But I am not sure what a membership cost?
www.ppa.com
Cosmo

http://www.zenfolio.com

works great. $25 a year for basic and $40 (?) for advanced. It currently has the option to buy prints, but you do not see the profit yet. It is in the plans to implement a sell-for-profit system. My site in my signature is a good example of their layout.

I can give you a referral number, and we both get $5 out of it :D You get $5 off your subscription and I get $5 off my next subscription.

I agree but then the lights would not be on. I might go back when the skies are blue.
Thanks,
Cosmo

Or, you could go try to talk the maintenance person into turning the lights on for you around dusk...

http://www.zenfolio.com

works great. $25 a year for basic and $40 (?) for advanced. It currently has the option to buy prints, but you do not see the profit yet. It is in the plans to implement a sell-for-profit system. My site in my signature is a good example of their layout.

I can give you a referral number, and we both get $5 out of it :D You get $5 off your subscription and I get $5 off my next subscription.

I'll probably try this in a couple of weeks. If you PM me the info I will put you down as a referance. I registered my domain at tripod. How of a big deal is it to move to someone else? Can it be done?
Cosmo

You can't really move your pictures from one to the other automatically, you'll have to repost them on zenfolio, but once they're up, it looks good. I'll send u a PM with my referral code :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back