selling your photographs

pianoman12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Rochester NY (home of Eastman Kodak Company)
I take pictures around Keuka Lake in New York State. I was at a craft show there and I saw a girl with some pictures and she was in high school as well.
I was wondering where you should start when trying to sell photos. I know about matting and such but where do you go after that. Would I go to a few local stores that sell that kind of stuff and ask them if they would sell them? How should I split the earnings? 50/50? or should I go to the local photographic center. could someong help

I'm in the UK so my advice won't be of much use.
I'm not sure this is the best place for your question. It might do better in General Q&A. I'll leave it here for a day or so but if you don't get much response I'll move it. OK?

Hi pianoman, I sell images at arts festivals and some online. I am not really aggressive about it, so I've not approached any stores or cafes. If you see a store or restaurant that regularly has photography for sale on the walls, that would be a good place to start. Check those pricetags and assume some kind of split, then also take note of how professionally they are presented. That costs, as well.

Arts festivals are usually juried, so there will be an up front application fee, plus you usually are required to send in slides of your work. You'll need a good variety of images, some framed, several others just matted and bagged in different sizes.

It's fun to get stuff out there, validating to see it move, just do your homework and be prepared to spend money to do it right. Good luck! :)

try offering them for free? go to shops which sell frames and offer your pics to be in the frames? (thats what im gonna start doing)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back