Semi Glamour shots

R.Robbins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.picturetrail.com
My close friends little sister competes in those money pit pagents, and there photographer was going to come and shoot for them in there backyard this weekend but wasnt going to be able to get the prints made in time. So i volunteered kind of do so them. She was planning on taking pics in there back yard, they own a pool company so they have a huge tropical backyard and rock pool. The back of the pool and backyard faces west so i was planning on shooting in the afternoon ish. I was planning on using the afternoon/sunset light and one reflector for the shoot. I do not have a good external flash so the only thing I have for a fill flash is the 30d's on board flash. also Im pretty limited with funds because i just bought my 30d, so all I have is a kit lens. Any tips comments sugesetions? if this goes well I could get alot of business.

On-board flash is exactly that - straight ahead flash. For fill-in from the side, try white posterboard as a reflector. You'll need an assistant to hold the board. Paste a piece of crumpled aluminum foil to the other side. You can use it at a distance if you need greater light intensity.

The nice thing about using reflectors, as opposed to flash, is that you can see the actual lighting and make adjustments prior to exposure.

As an alternate, wait for a hazy/cloudy day.

If you're running in luck, Philip will pick up on this and add his comments.

Thanks "Torus34" I was just painting the front fence and took a break. Your advice is more than applicable. My only comment is: Using a reflector obviously reflects the sun and can make the subject squint, accordingly if the sun is out use a white reflector, not the highly reflective type. Philip.
Comment also for you Americans, I just heard about the heat wave in NY. It's cool and comfortable here in Sydney.

Philip Weir said:
Comment also for you Americans, I just heard about the heat wave in NY. It's cool and comfortable here in Sydney.

Yeah, yeah, we know -- we know. You guys have 'winter' down under right now. However, as there are so few of you, and as you produce so much fine Shiraz, some of it doesn't get drunk in Australia and winds up here in the States.

I lift my glass of Rosemount Black Label[tm] in salute to you, Sir! It helps me withstand the heat in style.

I'll just chime in here and say that the advice given is all great, and that I have never been disappointed by an Australian wine :)

Most reactions

Back