Semi-Ruined my Canon 10-22mm EF-S

AverageJoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So that's why they sell UV filters.... or am I wrong here?

opinions.jpg

So I know this happened a long time ago and never thought to bring it to the forum to show what a stupid mistake I made. But maybe someone out there will see this and pickup UV filters for their lenses.

Now I'm stuck with an EF-S damanged lens and hoping to move to a full frame soon at which point I won't be able to sell this for a decent price. I still use it, takes two seconds to fix in photoshop, so it's not all a loss.

Erm, what did you do to it? UV filters are pretty useless, TBH. The front element of the lens is the cheapest part to replace, and if something is strong enough to break the UV filter, you can bet on it scratching the front element on it's way through. A hood provides more protection, and doesn't degrade image quality to boot.

It could just be sensor dust, or dust on the inside of the lens.

Well, I've ruled out the sensor as I have a slew of other lenses that don't show this problem. I've always used the hood for this lens and didn't use a UV filter till the damage was done.

It's done with. I couldn't imagine taking another photo with that lens. I'll give you $10 for it. (I'll even pay shipping)

I went shooting earlier in the week and had spots like this... but after I moved the camera, they went away... I'm thinking it was sensor dust for me, and it looks the exact same. Lucky for me, my camera has the built in sensor shaker thing to take care of it for me.

I believe it is sensor dust as well. Photos taken with scratches on the front element should not looks like that. It causes lost of contrast, not black spots.

Last edited:
Ever considered that you actually captured pictures of UFO's ?? :alien::alien::alien:

It's done with. I couldn't imagine taking another photo with that lens. I'll give you $10 for it. (I'll even pay shipping)
I disagree, it's clearly worth $25.00 in my book, and I think I would be willing to give you that.

Sorry, I really want the 10-22mm :D

And yes, it looks like sensor dust to me.

Good greif... yeah its nothing more than dust, whether it is on the lens on the back element or on the sensor... its still just dust and a good cleaning by someone competant resolves this MINOR issue.

dust bunnies on the attack.

Well, I've ruled out the sensor as I have a slew of other lenses that don't show this problem.
have you taken same shot locations with the same lighting conditions with the slew of lenses to factually rule this out?

Well, I've ruled out the sensor as I have a slew of other lenses that don't show this problem. I've always used the hood for this lens and didn't use a UV filter till the damage was done.
Uh, it depends on the aperture the lens is set to. Set them all to f/16 and take pictures a light colored white wall. Then compare again.

UV filters are big profit makers so camera stores push the snot out of them.

I'm shooting with a 40D that has the sensor vibration technology. I have 4 other lenses that don't have this problem. I'll take some shots and post for comparison.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back