Semi Travel Tripod Around $200

AceszHigh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a tripod in the range of about $200. I want to be able to fit it inside of a backpack for traveling. Photo only, no video. Weight isn't a huge issue as long as its not a beast. I guess I am looking for something middle of the road, not super compact for traveling (as those ones seem to sacrifice stability), but I want it to extend to a reasonable height. It doesnt need to support a ton of weight..don't plan on using any crazy heavy lenses. right now I have a canon 650d with the canon 10-22 lens which I want to use on a tripod. I'm not set on ball or pan head, though ball head seem to be easier to set up from what I read... Any ideas would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I use a Benro Travel Angel -- mine is a carbon fiber with a ballhead and an arca-swiss type mounting plate (I really like the arca-swiss style plates.) It'll be over your budget, but I've noticed that Benro makes an aluminum version (incidentally they also make a "fold flat" version which I have not seen myself) which is in the sub $200 price range. One of the legs detaches and you can use it as a monopod.

ALSO... I noticed that the Manfrotto BeFree is sub $200 and there's a BeFoto tripod which looks a lot like my Travel Angel in the sub $200 range as well.

All of these are in the 15-16" length when completely folded which means they'd easily fit inside a carry-aboard suitcase when traveling (that was an important criteria when I picked out my tripod.)

They will be more solid that the tiny tripods, but not nearly as solid as a non-travel tripod. I take precautions when I use my carbon fiber tripod to make sure it's not exposed to a strong wind or anything else that might vibrate it when trying to shoot a long exposure (the center column has a hook and you could hang a bag or something to it to add weight and improve stability.)

I would suggest that budget is the last priority you have, not the first. That is the problem with most people looking for a tripod, they want a caviar tripod on at peanut butter price. You have defined your needs as far as height weight etc. but you have not defined the needs of the tripod. You want a tripod and a head that will support at least TWICE the weight of your heaviest gear combo you have now and plan on having in the future. (ie. if you are saving for something like a 70-200, 300mm etc. plan for that weight) Even better would be a support weight of three times the weight of your gear. This is a big factor in where your stability comes in. Secondly, get a tripod that is tall enough for you without raising a center column. Raising the center column reduces stability. Then choose the material you want. Aluminum is good for weight and stability and for cost. Composts are better for weight and stability but no for cost. Finally there is hardwood. Harwoods are the best for stability and cost but are quite a bit heavier.

Once you have those things figured out, then see what you like that comes close to what you want to spend. If you buy right now, even if it means spending more money, you can have a setup that will last you a LIFETIME.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back