Senior Photos

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Did another high school senior shoot last weekend which was a lot of fun. The kid was not into it at all but I think after all was said and done he enjoyed it.

Tried to do more masculine poses but I think he may bat for the same team. Nothing wrong with that by any means but I think it lead to softer natural poses. I didn't want to take too much away from who he is if that makes any sense. One thing I noticed after about half of the shoot, 1/80th was too slow for the 85mm lens. So they are a little blurry unfortunately. I bumped the ISO after I noticed which helped.

Id love any feed back on what could be better or done differently

Hey Soulful. Not a bad set. My one suggestion is to continue to watch the background. Specifically #2 and #4. On 2, I would suggest a little move to your left to give separation of his head and the tree behind him. In 4, the same thing but I don't know if moving would help the tree crossing behind his head. Maybe make it go through the shoulder and torso might be better but not sure.

#1 is my favorite, I really like the door.

Thank you! I noticed that too after the fact haha. We shot on his grand parents land which had the original house from way long ago. He stole the door from the old house (with permission) which I liked as well. Kind of wish he was more into it so we could have shot around the old house. It was super cool.

Originally his parents wanted to shoot on rail road tracks which I said no and explained why.

Ill have some 4x5 photos this evening from this shoot as well.

I like #1 a lot, and the color ones I think are very nice too. I'm not sure the black and white works -- I feel like there isn't enough range and the highlights clipping don't work the way they do with color. It also could be my prejudice towards black and white shots being darker and moodier, though.

Moreover, I'm jealous it's green in Texas. Outside shooting here is still pretty grey and brown. My in-laws just moved to Lufkin, and are trying to get us to move with them...maybe I should consider it more seriously :D

Spring and Fall here are great. No fun fall colors but the temp is nice. Winter exists for about a week and Summer is awful. Too hot for me but Ive been here all my life.

I like these shots actually! I wouldn't have thought he didn't like the photos unless you mentioned it hahah

Can't give any good advise considering the only portraits I shoot are of my girlfriend when we go for walks! But they all look good to me!

Thanks!

I think the only true smile was the last photo when he was laughing with his mother

I know what you mean but it doesn't really have anything to do with the photos, a photographer is trying to capture the personality whatever that may be. Maybe you need to think beyond poses being strictly masculine or feminine and see what else you can come up with.

For me they're that too bright look that is popular so most likely that's what the family wants. The B&W however look grayscale not really black and white.

I'd check the hair and clothes every pose - started out OK but then there is that one hank of hair across his face. And the shirt is bunched around the waist and if sleeves are turned up and arms folded probably would be good to keep checking it. You got him looking good, I think the smiling worked great with him more than a serious face.

I think maybe try to shoot at a different time of day. The light looks harsh.
Also, consider an assistant to hold up reflectors or something to shade. An assistant can be a second pair of eyes for you too (hair, collars, belts, shirts, reflections, backgrounds etc.) Make a list of things to remember to do, not to do, and to avoid. Have it handy.

IMHO, the background is too bright in all of them. Next time, try exposing for the background and using fill flash for the subject, to balance the exposures.

I picked up a ND filter yesterday for shooting with strobes in the future :)

as for assistant:

Thank you all for the help!

I saw the title and thought you were shooting the elderly. I love to go to the local retirement communities and do shoots of the residents, such great and expressive faces.
My wife makes knitted pot sleeves to go over plant pots and we take a couple dozen plants in their little sweaters to give away.
They love it and are happy to let me take photos of them.

I picked up a ND filter yesterday for shooting with strobes in the future :)

as for assistant:

Thank you all for the help!

Might have been better to use the white/silver/gold/reflective side of the reflector to light his face from the side/below and expose for the background.

We tried the silver side but it was blinding the poor guy so we figured it would work better to block the random spots of light peaking through the tree.

Id like to get a big thing of white foam board

Most reactions

New Topics

Back