Senior Pictures take 2 (I know I suck and that is why I do them for free!)

Yes, it's obvious your images totally suck, Corporal Oblivious. Here's a little tip--learn how and why a person develops a forced, fake smile beginning in childhood, and then learn how a real photographer overcomes that. Don't make a stupid, rookie mistake more than once, Corporal Oblivious. Mmmmkay?

Oh, and when you wish to try an insult a veteran poster Corporal Oblivious, make sure your insulting name is spelled correctly. Obvious is spelled o_b_v_i_o_u_s. Your trembling hands managed to add an extra "i" to the word.

Yes, it's obvious your images totally suck, Corporal Oblivious. Here's a little tip--learn how and why a person develops a forced, fake smile beginning in childhood, and then learn how a real photographer overcomes that. Don't make a stupid, rookie mistake more than once, Corporal Oblivious. Mmmmkay?

Oh, and when you wish to try an insult a veteran poster Corporal Oblivious, make sure your insulting name is spelled correctly. Obvious is spelled o_b_v_i_o_u_s. Your trembling hands managed to add an extra "i" to the word.

Touche. At least you had a witty response. I will give credit where credit is due. Totally got me on the obvious, especially since I am a school teacher.

AUG19 - Nice try, but your attempt at a roast was worse than my first attempt at PS and we probably both spent the same amount of time trying.

Beyond the quips and backhanded comments, I really want to try and improve. This is my first time doing any that is even semi-official and want to try and do it the best I can. That being said, as long as my co-worker (kid's mom) is happy, then I did my job. Just wanted to do her a favor. I should have known this was going to be a longer process than just showing up and snapping some shots for him. I think tomorrow I am going to give it another go. For now, I am going to screw around on PS and see if I can get something out of the rest of the shots I have.

Someone who types way with 8 ys has too much time on their hands. :D

Someone who counts the number of 'y's in excess has too much time on their hands. :D

When posing, try and avoid having the shoulders parallel or perpendicular to the image sensor plane.

You didn't number them so.......the one on the bleachers is the only one with angled shoulders. To bad you didn't use any flash.

kmh - thanks for the technical advice. I really appreciate it. I took a few pictures with my built in flash but it looked way off. Now I know for our next meeting.

Like I said, this is the first time I have even attempted to do anything like this. I only got the camera about 3 months ago, so I am happy with the results from my first attempt. It is nowhere near to the point I would like the photos but everyone starts somewhere and I wasn't too disappointed with what I have come up with.

It take it you did little, if any, research or testing regarding posing, lighting portraiture, etc. before making this attempt?

I did research, but it was not much. Between being a father, a teacher and an athletic director, I don't have lots of time to dedicate towards researching for a free favor that I am doing for a friend. That being said, I spent about two hours over the last week reading up on posing techniques, lighting etc. but it all changes when you are in the field, you have a very uncomfortable subject that you don't know very well, along with certain light etc. This is definitely a hobby of mine so I feel like I will dedicate what I would consider an appropriate amount of time, similar to fishing, snowboarding etc. On the list of daily priorities, researching for pictures I am taking for a co-workers son isn't really high, to be brutally honest. If I am getting paid or hoping to get paid I would probably invest more time and money, but at this point I am just learning. For me experience is the best teacher. I read books and look online and the the things I learn there don't really become concrete until I take my own pictures and see what needs to be different myself. I still am trying to acquire a photographers eye as there are lots of stuff that looks rather unappealing to me while those "experienced/professional" photographers find it attractive. I am not necessarily trying to fit the mold here as so many folks are trying to do. I feel that if the person I took the pictures for is happy, nothing else really matters...

Quote,"I still am trying to acquire a photographers eye as there are lots of stuff that looks rather unappealing to me while those "experienced/professional" photographers find it attractive."

There's a photographer's eye for sale in Portland, Maine, on Craigslist; amazingly, it also comes bundled with a copy of The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White!!!

hey, i agree, maybe try taking him away from the background a little more. I like the 2nd pic the most. As far as PP goes, you and i both could use some practice. keep up the work man.

Meh. Didn't read all the bashing, but I think that with some proper pp, they could be decent. If you post a link to unedited copies I could give it a try for you.

i dont understand why someone comes here asking for critique, and when their photos get slammed they just say "oh it wasnt serious i know i suck."

just save people's time and dont post.

And I don't understand why it bothers people so much! If you don't want to read it, don't!

I agree with the comment on giving some separation between him and the background. This will give some dof which will really make him stand out.He's obviously into sports so get him talking about that or a girlfriend, whatever, to make him more comfortable and get his real smile/personality to shine through the photos.Good luck and keep going.

"I hope your basketball playing isn't as bad as my photography or we're in trouble!"

"Your girlfriends gonna love this!"

"Think of your girlfriend, now think of the girl you'd REALLY like to be with!"

There are a million ways to get someone to drop the fake smile JUST BEFORE you push the button. And when they laugh make sure to take at least two quick shots - no more fake smiles! Timing is everything, hold the humor until just before the shot (after focusing, etc).

And you don't have to be a standup comedian - they're nervous and will laugh at any stupid joke or comment.

Most reactions

Back